Singlet - triplet splitting in helium

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of making a rough estimate of the splitting energy caused by coulomb interaction between electrons in Helium. The formula used for the potential between the electrons is V = (e^2)/(4*Pi*epsilon*a), where a = a0/2 and a0 is the bohr radius. However, the actual splitting between energy levels is only a fraction of this energy due to coulomb repulsion occurring for both energy levels. The question then asks for help in finding an estimate for this fraction and to plot the singlet-triplet splitting energy for various configurations. The main difficulty is understanding the question and what to look for in order to complete the task.
sachi
We're asked to make a rough order of magnitude estimate of this splitting.
I know that it is caused by the coulomb interaction between the electrons. Therefore I estimated the potential between them as being
V = (e^2)/(4*Pi*epsilon*a)
where a =a0/2
a0 is the bohr radius
I've assumed that the distance between the electrons is equal to the bohr radius in Helium. The only problem is that the actual splitting between the energy levels is only going to be a fraction of this energy (as coulomb repulsion occurs for both the energy levels, but the level with the symmetric spatial part of its wavefunction will have the two electrons closer together and therefore having a higher coulomb energy of interaction). I'm having trouble coming up with an estimate for this fraction. thanks for your help.

Sachi

Physics news on Phys.org
"I know that it is caused by the coulomb interaction between the electrons."
No. The triplet spin state must have one electron in the n=2 state
(by Pauli). (This assumes the singlet is the ground state.)

Last edited:
this is my problem too! can anyone help?

i need to plot the singlet- triplet splitting energy for the [tex]^{1}[/tex]S and [tex]^{3}[/tex]S states corresponding to the configurations (1s,ns), n=1 to 7, and then explain why the plot is like that!

please help. my problem is i don't exactly know what it means? and what should i look for! i don't understand the question!

Last edited:

1. What is singlet-triplet splitting in helium?

Singlet-triplet splitting in helium refers to the energy difference between the two lowest energy states, or electronic configurations, of a helium atom. These states are known as the singlet state and the triplet state.

2. Why is singlet-triplet splitting important in helium?

Singlet-triplet splitting is important in helium because it is a fundamental property of the atom that affects its chemical and physical behavior. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the electronic structure and properties of helium-containing molecules.

3. What causes singlet-triplet splitting in helium?

Singlet-triplet splitting in helium is caused by the interaction between the two electrons in the atom. Due to the Pauli exclusion principle, the two electrons in helium must have opposite spin states, and this interaction leads to the energy difference between the singlet and triplet states.

4. How is singlet-triplet splitting measured in helium?

Singlet-triplet splitting in helium can be measured using various experimental techniques such as optical spectroscopy, electron spin resonance, and nuclear magnetic resonance. These methods involve the application of external energy, such as light or a magnetic field, to the atom and measuring the resulting energy difference between the singlet and triplet states.

5. How does the singlet-triplet splitting in helium vary with temperature?

The singlet-triplet splitting in helium decreases with increasing temperature due to thermal energy causing the electrons to have a higher probability of occupying the higher energy triplet state. This effect is known as spin exchange and is a key factor in the behavior of helium gas at low temperatures.