Thought experiment for using Black Holes for cmmunication

In summary, a black hole with a 25 lightyear Schwartzchild radius would take 25 years for an electron to reach it. The black hole would have observable charge, and the observation of the charge change would take another 25 years to reach the other planet.
NateTG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Let's say that we have two planets -- planet A and planet B, 100 Lightyears apart in space. Centered directly between them is a black hole with a 25 lightyear Schwartzchild radius. (The idea is that it's 25 lightyears fromt the Schwartzschild surface to each planet.)

If someone on planet A shots a stream of electrons with velocity .99c into the black hole, then awouldn't someone on planet B be able to observe the change in the black hole in approximately 50 years by observing the charge of the black hole?

The electrons would take about 25 years to reach the black hole. Then the black hole would have observable charge. Since the internal structure of the black hole is unobservable, the charge should affect all of the black hole instananeously, so the other side would also be changed. Then the observation of the charge chage would take another 25 years to reach the other planet.

I see two potential answers:
One is that the black hole has an effective diameter of zero -- thus the distnace between the planets is actually 50 lightyears.
The other is that the charge propogates along the schwartzchild surface of the black hole at c, so that it takes less time for light to get from one planet to the other by barely missing the Schwartzschild horizon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by NateTG
Let's say that we have two planets -- planet A and planet B, 100 Lightyears apart in space. Centered directly between them is a black hole with a 25 lightyear Schwartzchild radius. (The idea is that it's 25 lightyears fromt the Schwartzschild surface to each planet.)

If someone on planet A shots a stream of electrons with velocity .99c into the black hole, then awouldn't someone on planet B be able to observe the change in the black hole in approximately 50 years by observing the charge of the black hole?

The electrons would take about 25 years to reach the black hole. Then the black hole would have observable charge. Since the internal structure of the black hole is unobservable, the charge should affect all of the black hole instananeously, so the other side would also be changed. Then the observation of the charge chage would take another 25 years to reach the other planet.

I see two potential answers:
One is that the black hole has an effective diameter of zero -- thus the distnace between the planets is actually 50 lightyears.
The other is that the charge propogates along the schwartzchild surface of the black hole at c, so that it takes less time for light to get from one planet to the other by barely missing the Schwartzschild horizon.
if we assume that the speed of electron is constant even when it's already inside the black hole and the escape velocity from the black hole is c therefore i think the electron should pass the whole 100 lightyears distance between the stars and therefore it will take it to come to planet be 100 years and not 50 because i don't think a black hole is a shortcut.

Originally posted by NateTG
... Since the internal structure of the black hole is unobservable, the charge should affect all of the black hole instananeously...

For me, your thought experiment points out the need to examine
that "fact" about black holes having no hair
or the idea that a black hole is completely characterized by three
parameters: mass, spin, and charge

I suppose that this can be true only for a BH in isolation, not interacting with environment (gaining charge, mass, angular momentum)
If the BH is in the middle of some dynamic interaction with the outside world then the event horizon can be undulating and the EM field around the hole can be changing too.

the info that the hole has acquired some charge (a steadily increasing amount if it is a steady beam of electrons) would
travel by maxwell equations I guess, anyway not instantaneously.

this is not to say that I can solve the problem presented by this thought experiment----I am merely telling you what I learn from the experiement: that a BH in the midst of some interaction (like a planetsize chunk of matter has just fallen into it, or a bag of charge, or whatever, and it is digesting the thing and maybe burping) cannot be simply described by just three numbers.

it must have more than 3 degrees of freedom IMHO

maybe someone else can give a more authoritative account

1. How could black holes be used for communication?

The concept of using black holes for communication is based on the phenomenon of gravitational lensing. This occurs when the immense gravitational pull of a black hole bends the path of light, allowing it to travel around the black hole and reach an observer at a different location. By strategically placing a source of light near a black hole, the light could be bent and directed towards a specific location, potentially allowing for communication.

2. What are the potential benefits of using black holes for communication?

One of the main benefits of using black holes for communication is the ability to transmit information over vast distances in space. Since light can travel much more quickly and efficiently through the vacuum of space than traditional radio waves, using black holes as a means of communication could greatly increase the speed and reach of interstellar communication.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to using black holes for communication?

One potential limitation is the precision and accuracy required for this method to work. The light source would need to be placed at an incredibly precise distance and angle from the black hole in order for the light to be directed towards the desired location. Additionally, the immense gravitational pull of a black hole could also pose a danger to any spacecraft or equipment attempting to utilize this method of communication.

4. How could we overcome the challenges of using black holes for communication?

One solution could be to develop advanced technology and algorithms that can accurately calculate and adjust for the precise positioning and timing necessary for successful communication through black holes. Additionally, sending unmanned probes or satellites equipped with communication devices could reduce the risk to human astronauts.

5. What are the potential implications of using black holes for communication on our understanding of physics?

The successful implementation of using black holes for communication would not only revolutionize our ability to communicate in space, but it could also lead to new insights and advancements in the field of physics. This method would require a deeper understanding of gravity and light, and could potentially challenge our current theories and models of the universe.