System dynamics step/ramp formula

In summary, the "System dynamics step/ramp formula" is a mathematical equation used to model and analyze the behavior of dynamic systems in fields such as engineering, economics, and social sciences. It takes into account initial conditions, changes over time, and feedback loops, and can provide a holistic understanding of a system's behavior. However, it also has limitations, such as being based on assumptions and requiring expertise and data, and should be used alongside other methods for a comprehensive analysis.
kdinser
HI all, I'm taking a basic system dynamics course and I'm either having a problem with a concept or just with the notation.

I think the easiest way explain the problem I'm having is with an example ( see jpeg).

If I have f(t) = 0 when t <= a and [(bt)/(a+b)] - b when t>a I would have the laplace transform that equals int[((bt)/(a+b) - b)* e^(-st) dt] I'm fine with integrating this by hand and coming up with the correct answer, but I'm not sure how to get the answer from the tables. The book I'm using ("system dynamics) by katsuhiko ogata) seems to be a very good book, but there is some notation in there regarding step and ramp functions that I'm not understanding.

mainly stuff like f(t-a)1(t-a). Can someone explain this notation to me and or how to use the laplace tables when dealing with this kind of function?

Attachments

• step example.JPG
    step example.JPG
    5.1 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
The notation you are referring to is called the Heaviside Step Function, which is used to represent a unit step or "on/off" type of behavior. The notation f(t-a)1(t-a) can be interpreted as follows: f(t-a) is a function of time (t) shifted by an amount of time (a). The 1(t-a) is the Heaviside Step Function which takes on the value of 0 for t<a and 1 for t>a. So the notation represents a function that is shifted by a certain amount of time and then is turned "on" at this time.

To use the Laplace tables to solve this type of problem, you will need to use the properties of the Heaviside Step Function. For example, if you want to solve for the Laplace transform of f(t-a)1(t-a), you can use the property that the Laplace transform of a unit step is 1/s. Using this property, you can rewrite the expression as f(t-a)*1/s, which can then be solved using the Laplace tables. Hope this helps!

I can provide a response to your question about the system dynamics step/ramp formula. The notation you are referring to, specifically f(t-a)1(t-a), is commonly used to represent a step function in system dynamics. The "1(t-a)" part of the notation indicates that the function is equal to 1 for t > a and 0 for t < a. This means that the function has a step at t=a, where it changes from 0 to 1.

In the case of your example, f(t) = 0 when t <= a and [(bt)/(a+b)] - b when t>a, the function can be rewritten as f(t) = [(bt)/(a+b)] - b1(t-a). This notation makes it easier to understand the behavior of the function, as it clearly indicates that there is a step at t=a.

When using Laplace tables to solve for the Laplace transform of a function, you can use the properties of the Laplace transform to simplify the integral. In this case, you can use the shifting property, which states that the Laplace transform of f(t-a) is e^(-as)F(s), where F(s) is the Laplace transform of f(t). Applying this property to your example, you can rewrite the integral as int[(bt)/(a+b) * e^(-(a+b)s) - b*e^(-as) dt]. From there, you can use the Laplace transform table to solve for the transform of each term separately.

I hope this helps clarify the notation and how to use Laplace tables in dealing with step and ramp functions in system dynamics. Keep practicing and don't hesitate to ask for help if you encounter any further difficulties. Good luck with your course!

What is the "System dynamics step/ramp formula" used for?

The "System dynamics step/ramp formula" is a mathematical equation that is used to model and analyze the behavior of dynamic systems. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, economics, and social sciences to understand the relationships and interactions between different variables in a system over time.

How does the "System dynamics step/ramp formula" work?

The formula works by taking into account the initial conditions of a system and the changes in those conditions over time. It uses mathematical equations to represent the flow of variables within the system, and allows for the simulation of different scenarios and the prediction of future behavior.

What are the key components of the "System dynamics step/ramp formula"?

The key components of the formula include the system's initial conditions, the rate of change of variables over time, and the feedback loops that exist within the system. It also takes into account external factors that may influence the system's behavior.

What are the benefits of using the "System dynamics step/ramp formula"?

The formula allows for a holistic understanding of a complex system and its behavior over time. It can help identify potential problems and provide insights for decision-making and system design. It also allows for the testing of different scenarios and the evaluation of various interventions.

Are there any limitations to the "System dynamics step/ramp formula"?

Like any mathematical model, the formula is based on assumptions and simplifications, which may not accurately reflect the real-world complexity of a system. It also requires a significant amount of data and expertise to develop and interpret results. Therefore, it should be used in conjunction with other methods and approaches for a comprehensive analysis of a system.