Can Resistance Based Sensors Measure Beam Strength and Corrosion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to propose an appropriate resistance-based sensor system for measuring the deflection and strain of corroded steel beams. The use of a wheat-stone bridge with four resistors is suggested, but there is uncertainty about how to apply it and create circuit diagrams. One person suggests using a strain gauge instead, which is a common method for these types of measurements.
E=m(C)^2
Hey guys, I'm trying to propose an appropriate resistance based sensors to measure the deflection of a beam and the strain of the metal on the underside of the beam for an old peer with steel beams which are somewhat corroded. The system has to measure the strength of these beams.
I'm trying to include simple circuit diagrams of the sensors and how they will be set up.
I'm thinking of using a wheat-stone bridge, which has four resistors to my knowledge, but not quite sure how to apply it to the bridge or how to do the circuit diagrams. What could i expect for the output of the sensors?
Any help or advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just buy a strain gauge?

Gokul43201 said:
Why not just buy a strain gauge?
Gokul's correct. That is the usual way to make the measurements that you are referring to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strain_gauge

Oh ok, thanks a lot guys.

1. What is a resistance based sensor?

A resistance based sensor is a type of sensor that measures changes in electrical resistance to detect changes in the environment. It typically consists of a resistive element, such as a wire or film, that changes resistance when exposed to certain stimuli or conditions.

2. How do resistance based sensors work?

Resistance based sensors work by measuring changes in electrical resistance, which is the opposition to the flow of electric current. When the sensor is exposed to the target substance or condition, it causes a change in the resistive element, which is then measured and converted into a readable signal.

3. What are the advantages of using resistance based sensors?

Resistance based sensors have several advantages, including being highly sensitive, accurate, and cost-effective. They can also be used in a wide range of applications, from detecting temperature and humidity to measuring strain and force.

4. What are some common applications of resistance based sensors?

Resistance based sensors have many applications in various industries, including automotive, aerospace, healthcare, and environmental monitoring. They can be used for detecting and measuring parameters such as pressure, strain, temperature, and gas concentration.

5. How do resistance based sensors differ from other types of sensors?

Resistance based sensors differ from other types of sensors in terms of their principle of operation. Unlike other sensors that measure changes in voltage or current, resistance based sensors measure changes in resistance. This makes them more suitable for certain applications, such as detecting changes in physical parameters like force and pressure.