In which frame does the unit 2-sphere look locally flat?

In summary, the coordinate transformation that will make the given metric locally flat is:\left( \begin{array}{clrr} r' \\ \theta' \end{array} \right) = \left( \begin{array}{clrr} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & \mbox{$\frac{1}{r}$} \end{array} \right)\left( \begin{array}{clrr} r \\ \theta \end{array} \right)This transformation results in the metric:ds^2 = dr^2 + d\theta^2However, it is important to note that if \theta' = \frac{\theta}{r}, then the
masudr
Can someone please tell me, the coordinate transformation that will make the following metric:

[tex]ds^2=dr^2 + r^2d\theta^2[/tex]

look locally flat? Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the transformation is already very familiar to you. :smile:

Heh, fair enough. So I did sit down and think about it for a bit, and is it this one?

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{clrr} r' \\ \theta' \end{array} \right) =
\left( \begin{array}{clrr} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & \mbox{$\frac{1}{r}$} \end{array} \right)
\left( \begin{array}{clrr} r \\ \theta \end{array} \right)[/tex]

So that:

[tex]dx'^\mu =
\left( \begin{array}{clrr} dr' \\ d\theta' \end{array} \right) =
\left( \begin{array}{clrr} dr \\ \mbox{$\frac{d\theta}{r}$} \end{array} \right)[/tex]

So that:

[tex]ds^2 = dr^2 + d\theta ^2[/tex]

Last edited:
Careful, if, e.g.,

[tex]\theta' = \frac{\theta}{r},[/tex]

then

[tex] d \theta' = \frac{\partial \theta'}{\partial r} d r + \frac{\partial \theta'}{\partial \theta} d \theta.[/tex]

Also, I'm now a bit confused. When, I first responded, I didn't really read the title of the thread. The metric you give in the original post seems not to be the metric for a 2-sphere. It looks more like the metric 2-dimensional plane written in terms of polar coordinates, and hence my first reply.

1. What is a unit 2-sphere?

A unit 2-sphere, also known as a 2-sphere or a 2-dimensional sphere, is a mathematical object that represents the surface of a ball in three-dimensional space. It is defined as the set of all points that are equidistant from a given point, called the center, and has a radius of 1 unit.

2. What does it mean for a unit 2-sphere to look locally flat?

When we say that a unit 2-sphere looks locally flat, we mean that when viewed from a small enough distance, the curvature of the sphere appears to be negligible. This is similar to how the surface of the Earth looks flat when viewed from a small area, even though it is actually a curved surface.

3. In what frame does the unit 2-sphere look locally flat?

The unit 2-sphere looks locally flat in any frame of reference where the observer is small enough compared to the size of the sphere. This means that as long as the observer is not too far away from the sphere, the curvature will appear to be insignificant.

4. How is the flatness of a unit 2-sphere measured?

The flatness of a unit 2-sphere is measured by its curvature, which is the amount of bending or deviation from a straight line. The lower the curvature, the flatter the sphere appears to be when viewed locally.

5. Why is it important to understand the local flatness of a unit 2-sphere?

Understanding the local flatness of a unit 2-sphere is important in various fields of mathematics and physics, as it helps us to visualize and analyze curved surfaces in a simpler way. It also has applications in fields such as differential geometry, relativity, and computer graphics.