HELP: heating a pot of water on low or high water.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the most energy efficient way to handle a carton of milk that has been taken out of the fridge. The options are to immediately return it to the fridge or leave it out as long as possible. It is clarified that this problem does not involve latent heat, but rather heat capacity and the concept of warming and cooling. The solution depends on whether the person wants warm milk or not. The conversation then shifts to finding the most energy efficient way to cool the milk, with the reminder that refrigerators and air conditioners work in a similar way. The final question is which scenario would require more time and energy to cool the milk, a jug of water that is just below boiling or the same jug at 42
kumar_23
HELP!:Real-World Heat Transfer, heating water ...

Can someone help me with this problem?

:confused: Suppose you have a carton of milk out of the fridge. It is most energy efficient to:
a.) immediately return it to the fridge
b.) leave it out as long as possible

I am not sure whether this has to do with latent heat of vaporization of latent heat of fusion. Can anyone please help me on this? I'm new to this so i only have introductory knowledge on this topic.:frown:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It has nothing to do with latent heat. It's about heat capacity and warming and cooling.

:confused: It depends on if you want warm milk. If you want to keep it cold you will put it back in the fridge. If not, don't.

Now could you please rephrase that, so we have a proplem to solve. Just what are you looking for?

we have to find whether it's most energy efficient when we put it in the fridge or leave it as long as possible. i don't really understand the concept

simple really, besides the risk of the milk spoiling at room temp, what would require more time to cool to say 40 F, a jug of water that is just below boiling or the same jug at 42 F. Bear in mind it takes energy to cool things, a refrigerator is not a lot different than an air conditioner (but avoid the temptation to open your fridge in the summer to use it as such--do you know why?), so what is the right answer?

1. How long does it take to heat a pot of water on low heat?

The time it takes to heat a pot of water on low heat will depend on the volume of water, the type of stovetop, and the temperature of the water before heating. On average, it can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes for a small pot of water to reach a rolling boil on low heat.

2. Can I heat a pot of water faster by using high heat instead of low heat?

In most cases, yes, heating a pot of water on high heat will result in faster heating compared to low heat. However, it is important to monitor the pot closely to prevent the water from boiling over or burning. Additionally, using high heat can cause the water to evaporate quickly, so it may be necessary to add more water as it heats.

3. How do I know when the water is hot enough on low heat?

The best way to determine if the water is hot enough on low heat is to use a thermometer. Water typically reaches a temperature of 212°F (100°C) when it is at a rolling boil. If you do not have a thermometer, you can also look for small bubbles forming at the bottom of the pot or steam rising from the surface of the water.

4. Can I leave a pot of water heating on low heat unattended?

It is not recommended to leave a pot of water heating on low heat unattended. The water can quickly reach a boiling point and boil over, causing a mess and potentially creating a fire hazard. It is best to monitor the pot closely and adjust the heat as needed.

5. Will heating a pot of water on low heat save energy compared to using high heat?

Yes, heating a pot of water on low heat will save energy compared to using high heat. Low heat requires less energy and takes longer to heat the water, resulting in less energy consumption overall. It is a more efficient way to heat water, especially if you are not in a rush to boil the water.