Converting Decimals & Fractions on TI-89 Titanium

In summary, to convert a fraction to a decimal on a TI-89 Titanium, type out the fraction and press the diamond key before pressing Enter. To change the mode to always display decimals or fractions, go to Mode, Page 2, and adjust the Exact/Approx. value. Alternatively, add a period after the fraction to have it automatically display as a decimal.
txxp4
Just got a new TI-89 Titanium, can't really figure it out yet, I need help changing decimals to fractions, and fractions to decimals fast. Any ideas?

Computer science news on Phys.org
To convert a fraction to a decimal, type it out first, and before pressing Enter, press the diamond key to tell the TI to report the solution as a decimal. This works for all expressions that are expressed as fractions (exact answers).

To change the mode, go to Mode, Page 2, under Exact/Approx., change the value to Exact or Approximate, depending if you want decimals versus fractions all the time. I recommend leaving it on AUTO mode so that you get exact (fractional) answers by default unless you press the diamond key before entering the expression.

Or, if you want to make life easy, just type a period after a number in the fraction, and it will print out as a decimal.

For example, "4/3" is printed as "4/3", but "4/3." is printed as "1.33333"

1. How do I convert a decimal to a fraction on the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

To convert a decimal to a fraction on the TI-89 Titanium calculator, follow these steps:

1. Enter the decimal number into the calculator.

2. Press the "Math" button, then select "Numeric" and then select "Frac". This will convert the decimal to a fraction.

3. Press "Enter" to display the fraction in its simplest form.

2. How do I convert a fraction to a decimal on the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

To convert a fraction to a decimal on the TI-89 Titanium calculator, follow these steps:

1. Enter the fraction into the calculator as a division problem (e.g. 3/4).

2. Press the "Math" button, then select "Numeric" and then select "Dec". This will convert the fraction to a decimal.

3. Press "Enter" to display the decimal.

3. Can I convert mixed numbers to decimals and vice versa on the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

Yes, you can convert mixed numbers to decimals and vice versa on the TI-89 Titanium calculator.

To convert a mixed number to a decimal, follow the steps for converting a fraction to a decimal.

To convert a decimal to a mixed number, follow the steps for converting a decimal to a fraction, and then convert the resulting fraction to a mixed number manually.

4. How do I change the decimal display settings on the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

To change the decimal display settings on the TI-89 Titanium calculator, follow these steps:

1. Press the "Mode" button.

2. Scroll down to "Exact/Approx" and press the right arrow button.

3. Select "Approximate" to display decimals or "Exact" to display fractions.

4. Press "Enter" to save the changes.

5. Is there a way to quickly switch between decimal and fraction display on the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

Yes, there is a way to quickly switch between decimal and fraction display on the TI-89 Titanium calculator.

Press the "Math" button, then select "Numeric" and then select either "Frac" or "Dec" to toggle between displaying fractions and decimals.