Managing Chemical Sensitivity & ER Visit

In summary, the conversation is about the reactions and sensitivities some people have to fragrances, and how it can affect their health and well-being. Some individuals have severe allergies and have had to isolate themselves from certain scents in order to stay alive. The fragrance industry is not required to disclose all of the chemicals they use, which can be harmful to some individuals. Some participants in the conversation have undergone extensive allergy testing, while others believe there may be other explanations for these sensitivities.
turbo-1 said:
As a child, I have helped make and/or eaten foods that many of today's US citizens would call repulsive. Killing pigs and saving the blood and large and small intestines and scraps so that we could have sausages throughout the winter was a given. It had to be done, and we had all invested so much (scraps, peelings, breads, etc) into these pigs that we needed to get everything back. Not just the meat, but salted fat (salt pork) and the scraps, like the brains, organ meat, etc. Getting ordered around by a couple of French-Canadian great aunts for a weekend in such slaughtering get-togethers will clear your mind very quickly.
That reminds me of a friend of mine from years ago. He worked as a butcher but after a few years very suddenly developed an allergy to raw meat. When he handled it his hands looked like pieces of raw meat themselves :eek: Eventually he had no choice but to give up that line of work.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm new, surley not unique.
Bleach, pinesol, etc get me going with headaches.
But when I'm around certain friends, they "send me".
Lately, even ignoring the scents, I react like the incredible huk!
You won't like me when......
So I get serious personality changes.
Even if I don't seem to get the scent right away, within a half hour, STAND BACK!
Anyone else affected that way?
Sure will take suggestions.
My friends would appreciate it too! (let alone my wifie)
John

My wife can sense the mood-changes in me right away. And yes, I can get very frustrated, dopey-feeling, and angry. I can suppress angry, but end up being a bit curt and withdrawn at best.

That is sooooo true!
They say that smells go directly to the brain.
Unfortunatly, I must go out tonight, and be among "smellies"
I ordered a mask from and it does help, amid jeerinng.
I ask, I don't know how my wife puts up with "the hulk" alias Bill Bixby at times.
Someone suggested liver detox, since the chemicals can bulk up in that organ.
No magic bullet, I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dryer sheets, brute, and I was watching NBC which had Dr Nancy Sneiderman on today,
talking about "3rd hand smoke. which leaves chemicals in the air and absorbed in carpet,
clothing, and everything around which can absorb the smoke. WHY DON'T THEY MENTION THE 3rd HAND CHEMICAL DEPOSITS ZFZROM ZFRAGRENCES?

Thanks for the link, Woolie, but for the record, I have been seen and treated by the most respected chemical-injury doctor in New England (he now teaches at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center and his printed-out CV is an inch thick.) I think I'll pass on buying the e-book.

The only way to win out is to infect all who aren't NORMAL like we are?