Find all values of x which satisfy the inequality

• Thread starter Petkovsky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
We have 6^{2x+3} < 6^{2x+3} \left( \frac{3}{2} \right)^{ x-4}. So \left( \frac{3}{2} \right)^{ x-4} > 1. And so x > 4. In summary, x > 4 is the set of all values of x that will satisfy the inequality.
Petkovsky
6^(2x+3) < 2^(x+7) * 3^(3x-1)

So what i did first was:

3^(2x+3) * 2^(2x+3) < 2^(x+7) * 3^(3x-1)

Now i don't know how to set up the equation. I guess this is not correct

2*(2x+3) < x+7 + 3x - 1

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, what is it that you're trying to do? Find for which x this is true? Show that it is always true? Show that it is never true?

Find all values of x which satisfy the inequality. Sorry i didnt mention, i thought it was clear.

Petkovsky said:
6^(2x+3) < 2^(x+7) * 3^(3x-1)

Hi Petkovsky! :smile:

Hint: take logs. :wink:

We needn't even take logs, the numbers happen to work out very nicely =]

Q: Find x such that; [tex]6^{2x+3} < 2^{x+7} \cdot 3^{3x-1}[/tex].

Rewrite the exponents on the RHS to also have 2x+3's, [tex] RHS = \frac{2^{2x+3}}{2^{x-4}} \cdot 3^{2x+3} 3^{x-4} = 6^{2x+3} \left( \frac{3}{2} \right)^{ x-4} [/tex].

The question is much easier in this form.

1. What does it mean to "find all values of x"?

Finding all values of x means determining all possible numbers that satisfy the given inequality. In other words, it is finding the range of values that make the inequality true.

2. How do you determine which values of x satisfy the inequality?

To determine which values of x satisfy the inequality, you must first isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol. Then, you can use appropriate mathematical operations to solve for x and find the range of values that make the inequality true.

3. Can there be more than one solution for the inequality?

Yes, there can be more than one solution for the inequality. In fact, there can be an infinite number of solutions, depending on the complexity of the inequality and the range of values for x.

4. What is the importance of finding all values of x that satisfy the inequality?

Finding all values of x that satisfy the inequality is important because it helps us understand the full range of possible solutions for the given problem. It allows us to accurately represent the solution set and make informed decisions based on the inequality.

5. Are there any special rules or techniques for finding all values of x in an inequality?

Yes, there are certain rules and techniques that can make finding all values of x in an inequality easier. These include properties of inequalities, such as multiplying or dividing by a negative number changes the direction of the inequality symbol, and using algebraic techniques like factoring and substitution.