Full-Time or Part-Time Master's: Advice Needed

In summary, it sounds like you may be able to get into a good PhD program with a good M.Sc. degree, but you may want to consider whether you want to go full time or keep your current job.
yenchin
Dear all, I am currently working as a lecturer at a polytechnic. I have recently been accepted into a master program (by research) in mathematics (I obtained a B.Sc (Hons) in math 2 years ago). Given that my aim is to get into a good phd program, do you think that I should:

My undergraduate transcript isn't beautiful, and I hope that I can get a better result in M.Sc, sort of to make up for my undergrads results. So naturally I would think that full time master will allow me to concentrate more on study. But several others have advised that I should keep my job (which works 8.30pm to 6pm 5 times a week) because an experience of having lecturing in a polytechnic can help to get into a good phd program. But I very much doubt that is going to help much if my grades ended up mediocre... besides having day jobs mean that I am missing out on most of the interesting courses as only a few courses are conducted in the evening.

I think I just need more opinions as to whether I should go full time to pursue my dream, or keep my current job in the hope that it will also somehow help me in the long run... Please advice. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
So it sounds like you have two years experience teaching. I'm not sure that extending this to four years is going to look that much more impressive on an application - especially if it's teaching the same material.

The best qualifier for a Ph.D. program is good performance in an M.Sc. program.

What I think is more important to consider is the financial situation you'll enter into by going from full time employment to being a student again. If you're okay with this, I would pursue full time studies.

I spent first year or so teaching at a local prestigious high school, and another year or so lecturing at polytechnic. I have no issue with finance since I can support myself via tutoring. Thanks for your advise.

How nice that you can be a lecturer at a polytechnic with a bachelor's degree. The larger community colleges (in the US, pre-bachelor's only) wouldn't even consider me with a bachelor's degree. Most require a master's for any subject where it is routinely available (e.g., they will let you teach photography by either training or experience, but you must have a master's to teach physics, math, chemistry, etc.).

1. Should I pursue a full-time or part-time master's degree?

The decision to pursue a full-time or part-time master's degree ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and goals. If you are able to dedicate yourself entirely to your studies and have the financial means to do so, a full-time program may be the best option. However, if you have other commitments such as a job or family, a part-time program may better suit your needs.

2. What are the advantages of a full-time master's program?

One of the main advantages of a full-time master's program is the accelerated pace of learning. You will be able to complete your degree in a shorter amount of time, allowing you to enter the workforce or pursue further education sooner. Additionally, many full-time programs offer more opportunities for networking and hands-on experience.

3. What are the advantages of a part-time master's program?

A part-time master's program allows for a more flexible schedule, making it easier to balance other commitments such as work or family. It also allows for a slower pace of learning, which can be beneficial for those who prefer to take their time and fully absorb the material. Part-time programs may also be less expensive than full-time programs.

4. Will a part-time master's degree hold the same value as a full-time degree?

Yes, a part-time master's degree holds the same value as a full-time degree. Both types of programs require the same coursework and typically lead to the same degree. Employers generally do not differentiate between full-time and part-time degrees when considering candidates for a job.

5. Can I switch from part-time to full-time or vice versa during my master's program?

It is possible to switch from part-time to full-time or vice versa during a master's program, but it may depend on the policies of your specific program. It is important to carefully consider your decision and discuss it with your academic advisor before making any changes. Keep in mind that switching may also affect your financial aid or scholarship eligibility.