Exponents Homework: Proving Inequality of Positive Integers

In summary, the problem states that for two positive integers m and n, either m^(1/n) or n^(1/m) is always less than or equal to 3^(1/3). The solution involves considering three cases: when m=n, when m>n or m<n, and when m and n are not equal. It also involves finding the maximum value of the function x^(1/x) for positive integers.
furnis1

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I am having difficulty with the following problem:

"If m and n are two postive integers, prove that one of m^(1/n) or n^(1/m) is always less than or equal to 3^(1/3)"

Any idea of how to go about this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Hmm...

Well here is what could happen:

m=n
m>n or
m<n

The last two cases can be treated as one.

One more hint: for what value of x is [tex]x^{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex] maximized? I think it's e.

futurebird said:
Hmm...
One more hint: for what value of x is [tex]x^{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex] maximized? I think it's e.

I don't see how e can be useful since [tex]3^{1/3} \leq e [/tex]

If you know where the max value is you should be able to locate the max value for the function on the positive integers by looking at where the function is increasing and decreasing.

Then deal with the case where m != n

What is an exponent?

An exponent is a mathematical notation that represents repeated multiplication of a number by itself. It is written as a superscript to the right of the base number. For example, in the expression 23, 2 is the base and 3 is the exponent. This can also be read as "2 to the power of 3" or "2 cubed".

What is the rule for multiplying powers with the same base?

When multiplying powers with the same base, you can add the exponents. For example, 23 x 25 = 28 because 3+5 = 8.

What is the rule for dividing powers with the same base?

When dividing powers with the same base, you can subtract the exponents. For example, 25 ÷ 23 = 22 because 5-3 = 2.

How do you simplify an expression with negative exponents?

To simplify an expression with negative exponents, you can move the base to the opposite side of the fraction and make the exponent positive. For example, 2-3 = 1/23 = 1/8.

What is the difference between a power and a root?

A power is the result of multiplying a number by itself a certain number of times, while a root is the inverse operation of a power. For example, 23 is the power of 2, while √8 is the square root of 8.