What is generator? does it have an definition?

In summary, a generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It works by rotating a coil of wire in a magnetic field, creating an electric current. Generators are commonly used as backup power sources during power outages or in areas without access to electricity. They do not have a specific definition, but are generally understood as machines that produce electricity.
jomoonrain
what is generator?
does it have an definition?
what is it used to do?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

jomoonrain said:
what is generator?
does it have an definition?
what is it used to do?

thanks

Hi jomoonrain! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If you mean an electrical generator, there's a good description at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_generator :smile:

hi!
well,actually my "generator" is some mathmatical object. i encountered this word in many places:analytical mechanics, and also quantum mechanics.but its contexts are a little different. (the latest time i met this thing was in quantum mechanics, in an rotation matrix )so it's hard for me to form a general concept of it.

jomoonrain said:
hi!
well,actually my "generator" is some mathmatical object. i encountered this word in many places:analytical mechanics, and also quantum mechanics.but its contexts are a little different. (the latest time i met this thing was in quantum mechanics, in an rotation matrix )so it's hard for me to form a general concept of it.

Hi jomoonrain! :smile:

ahah! :biggrin:

In that case … the concept of a generator is very similar to that of a base …

You start with a set of elements, and then you use all the allowable operations, and that "generates" a subspace (or the whole space) …

you then say that that set of elements are the generators of the subspace. :smile:

For a bit more, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generator_(mathematics)

ha
thanks for you information.
i have got it, even though not too much.

The generators or a group are elements of a group from which all other elements of the group can be made by taking products of the generators.

Sometimes they talk about infintesimal generators. I like to take things by expample. Without the mathematical rigor, for a rotation in a plane, this is the matrix that rotates a vector by an infintesimal angle.

Thank you Phrak.
You talked about the rotation matrix, and I just have a question here.
Is it true that any rotation matrices can be wrote as an exponential form? If it is, then why?

jomoonrain said:
Thank you Phrak.
You talked about the rotation matrix, and I just have a question here.
Is it true that any rotation matrices can be wrote as an exponential form? If it is, then why?

I'm not sure what you mean. Does 'exponential form' has some concise mathematical meaning, you've read of, that I am not aware?

You can represent a vector (x,y) as a complex number x+iy. Rotation corresponds to multiplication by exp(i theta).

well,I read this statements in Ernest S. Abers' book:quantum mechanics.
and you just answered my question, even it was not so clearly. and I'm afraid i can't express my question better,cause what i have known is so little.
thanks,

thanks, sam

What is a generator?

A generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It works by using a magnetic field to induce a current in a wire, which can then be used to power electrical devices.

How does a generator work?

A generator works by using a spinning rotor and a stationary stator. The rotor is connected to a shaft that is turned by an external force, such as a turbine or engine. As the rotor spins, it creates a changing magnetic field that passes through the stator, which contains wire coils. This induces a current in the wire, producing electricity.

What are the different types of generators?

There are several types of generators, including diesel generators, gas generators, solar generators, and wind turbines. Each type uses a different source of energy to spin the rotor and produce electricity.

Do generators have a specific definition?

Yes, generators have a specific definition. They are defined as a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy.

How are generators used in everyday life?

Generators are used in many ways in everyday life, such as powering homes during power outages, providing electricity for construction sites, and powering recreational vehicles. They are also used in large-scale power plants to generate electricity for cities and towns.