Plane Waves vs. Waves on a String

In summary, the conversation discusses topics related to electromagnetic waves and photons. The speaker expresses confusion about the concept of plane waves and the E and B fields associated with photons. They also question whether a diagram on a MIT page represents a single photon or a ray of light. The conversation concludes with a summary of the behavior of E and B fields in an electromagnetic wave.
WarPhalange
I already took 3 quarters of EM and I'm ashamed to say I didn't learn anything the final quarter, where we covered the most interesting topics. Bah.

One thing that I'm still confused about are plane waves. I understand the description of a regular sine wave on string. If you wiggle it once, you'll get a single wave traveling along the string and I can tell you the amplitude and how fast it's going and where it is.

I've also seen pictures like this depicting a photon:

07-EB_Light_320.jpg

Where E and B are perpendicular to one another and the photon is traveling in the direction of propagation of both. But what I don't get are the E and B fields actually. A more energetic photon will have higher frequencies for the E and B fields, correct?

But where are these fields? Let me explain. I'll take the Yellow arrows as being the E field, and I am standing at a point where E = 0. Then, as a photon zooms by me, will I gradually feel the E-field increase to a maximum and then decrease back to 0, then go negative, and finally back to 0 and then it will stay at 0 forever? Where the time it takes for this to happen is the 1/frequency of the photon (so one wavelength).

Because that picture makes it seem like the E and B fields extend infinitely in the x direction, which is where the photon is traveling.

Physics news on Phys.org
WarPhalange said:
I've also seen pictures like this depicting a photon:

Do the MIT pages really claim that this represents a single photon? Can you give a link to a page that states that? That diagram looks like the ones that you find in many textbooks describing classical electromagnetic waves.

Well then that's where my confusion stems from I suppose. That's not a single photon, but a ray of light, then?

And the EM wave will always stay the same because that's just the phase that the light is in? Or will the EM fields still oscillate?

You're correct in your original post: the more energetic photons would have E and B fields oscillating faster. Afterall, energy of a photon is defined by the frequency of oscillations of E/B fields.
MIT page is showing you a continuous monochromatic (single frequency) electromagnetic wave. You can also have pulsed electromagnetic waves (like the ones I'm sending and receiving right now through my wireless connection on my laptop). In a way you can think of these pulses of EM field as photons, then many of these pulses (with proper phase relationship maintained) would form the wave shown on MIT page.

As for plane wave - its a mathematical construct only. Albeit being useful, it does not correspond to reality, because it extends to infinity - i.e. it comes from infinite source. Here's helpful physical model (which works for this demonstration): the disturbance of water surface due to dropped pebble is circular (such wave is called a spherical wave originating from a point-source). Now, if we drop a stick into the water, you'll notice that disturbance propagates perpendicular to stick (close to the middle of the stick) but there is more circular-looking disturbance closer to the edges. Of course, if you drop an 'infinite' stick you'll get rid of these edge-effects and hence obtain your mathematical equivalent of the (unrealistic) plane wave. Close to the middle of the stick though, plane wave looks like a good approximation of the disturbance however, so that's why we use it.

I hope this is clear and addresses your questions!
Cheers

WarPhalange said:
That's not a single photon, but a ray of light, then?

A plane EM wave is an idealization, but it approximately represents the field from a monochromatic point source, far away from the source. Or more practically, inside a laser beam, not too close to the edge of the beam.

And the EM wave will always stay the same because that's just the phase that the light is in? Or will the EM fields still oscillate?

At each point along the wave, the E and B fields oscillate back and forth, perpendicular to the propagation direction of the wave, in such a way that the envelope moves forward with speed c.

jtbell said:
At each point along the wave, the E and B fields oscillate back and forth.

At each point along the wave's propagation, the E and B fields have a value. The E and B fields oscillate with distance as the wave propagates.

I'm sure that's what you meant. :smile:

Regards,

Bill

1. What is the difference between plane waves and waves on a string?

Plane waves are waves that travel through a medium without any change in direction or amplitude. They are characterized by a constant wavelength and frequency. Waves on a string, on the other hand, are mechanical waves that travel along a medium (in this case, a string) and are characterized by a varying amplitude and wavelength.

2. How do plane waves and waves on a string differ in terms of energy transfer?

Plane waves transfer energy through the medium in a perpendicular direction to the direction of wave propagation. Waves on a string, on the other hand, transfer energy by causing the particles of the string to vibrate in a direction parallel to the wave's movement.

3. Can both plane waves and waves on a string exhibit interference?

Yes, both types of waves can exhibit interference. In plane waves, interference occurs when two or more waves meet and combine to form a new wave with a different amplitude. In waves on a string, interference occurs when two waves traveling in opposite directions meet and create a standing wave pattern.

4. How do the equations for plane waves and waves on a string differ?

The equations for plane waves and waves on a string differ in terms of the variables used. Plane waves are described by the equation y = A*sin(kx - ωt), where A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, x is the position, ω is the angular frequency, and t is the time. Waves on a string are described by the equation y = A*sin(kx - ωt), where A is the amplitude, k is the wave number, x is the position, ω is the angular frequency, and t is the time.

5. Can either plane waves or waves on a string exhibit diffraction?

Yes, both plane waves and waves on a string can exhibit diffraction. Diffraction occurs when a wave bends around an obstacle or through a narrow opening, causing it to spread out. The degree of diffraction depends on the wavelength of the wave and the size of the obstacle or opening.