PROVING INTERSECTION OF Any number of COMPACT SETS is COMPACT?

In summary, the conversation is about proving the intersection of any number of closed sets is closed, and the use of the Heine-Borel Theorem to show that each set in a collection of compact sets is closed. The next step is to prove that the intersection of these sets is bounded, and the approach of using the subsets of [a,b] is mentioned. However, there is some uncertainty about whether this approach is correct, and the concept of compactness is discussed in relation to the problem.
PhysicsHelp12
I'm stuck ...
Ive proved the intersection of any number of closed sets is closed ...
and Let S = { A_a : a Element of I } be an collection of compact sets...then
by heine Borel Theorem ...Each A_a in S is closed...so this part is done now I just
have to show the intersection is bounded...
so I said since each A_a in S is bounded by Heine Borel ..then A_a is a subset of [a,b]
and then this is when I am really stuck:
Let B={[a,b] : There exists an A_a in S such that A_a subset of [a,b]}

I took the intersection of both sides of the subset ...and said Intersection S is a subset of
Intersection of [a,b] so Intersection of S is bounded and therefore compact

but somehow I think this is an error ..I don't know how to do this formally

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
The intersection of a bunch of sets is a subset of each of the sets. And a subset of a bounded set is <fill blank>.

Are you talking about sets or real numbers? Or, more generally, in Rn?

It is true that in any metric topology, a compact set is both closed and bounded.

It is NOT true that in any metric topology, closed and bounded sets are compact.
For example, the Heine-Borel theorem is not true of the rational numbers with d(x,y)= |x-y|.

If you are working in the real numbers, then morphism is giving you a good hint: if A is a bounded set the A intersect ANY other sets is bounded.

If you are working in any topological space, the theorem is still true. You would need to look at the basic definition of "compact" because without a metric, "bounded" is not even defined: let {U} be an open cover for A and show it has a finite subcover.

this seems to be false, unless by compact you mean the bourbaki definition of compact which includes hausdorff as part of the definition. if that is what you mean by compact then a compact set is also closed. so since a closed subset of a compact set is compact you get it easily. but the disjoint union of two closed unit discs, then identified except at the origin seems to be a space in which both discs are compact but their intersection is not, being a punctured disc.

I think the OP is working in R^n, because he/she mentioned Heine-Borel.

1. What is the definition of a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a topological space that is closed and bounded. This means that the set contains all its limit points and can be contained within a finite distance.

2. Can you prove that the intersection of two compact sets is compact?

Yes, the intersection of two compact sets is compact. This can be proven using the Heine-Borel theorem, which states that a subset of Euclidean space is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded.

3. How do you prove the intersection of any number of compact sets is compact?

To prove the intersection of any number of compact sets is compact, you can use mathematical induction. First, prove that the intersection of two compact sets is compact. Then, assuming that the intersection of n compact sets is compact, use this assumption to prove that the intersection of n+1 compact sets is also compact.

4. What is the significance of proving the intersection of any number of compact sets is compact?

Proving the intersection of any number of compact sets is compact is important because it allows us to extend the concept of compactness to an infinite number of sets. This is useful in many areas of mathematics and can help us prove important theorems.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rule that the intersection of any number of compact sets is compact?

Yes, there are some exceptions to this rule. For example, if the topological space is not Hausdorff, then the intersection of an infinite number of compact sets may not be compact. Additionally, if one of the sets in the intersection is not closed, then the intersection may not be compact.