Keeping up to date with latest journals/articles

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to keep up with the large amount of articles published in a given field and how to filter which ones to read. Some suggested sources for the latest scientific articles include the arxiv website and specialized journals with pre-selected keywords. Some individuals also skim through abstracts and make note of anything of interest.
NeoDevin
How do you keep up to speed with all the articles published in a given field? How do you decide which ones you read and which you don't? What are good sources for the latest scientific articles?

There are a couple of disciplines in math, comp sci, and physics that I try to keep up to date on, but there are simply too many papers published to hope to read them all, so I'm hoping others will share how they filter it.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the field. The arxiv (http://arxiv.org/) is a good source of current papers. I decide which one to read by scanning through the list of abstracts in the sections most relevant to me most mornings, then opening up ones that sound interesting.

IOP has a service where they send out a monthly collection of abstracts to subscribers based on pre-selected keywords - at least for Physics in Medicine and Biology. In my field there are only a few key journals that I keep regular tabs on. Once a month aI skim through the abstracts and make note of anything of interest that comes up. There are several other "peripheral" ones, that I check out from time to time as well, but I don't read them on any regular basis.

1. How can I stay current with the latest journals and articles in my field?

To stay current with the latest journals and articles in your field, you can regularly check journal websites, subscribe to email alerts, attend conferences and workshops, and follow relevant social media accounts and blogs. You can also join online communities and discussion forums to engage with other researchers and stay updated on current research.

2. What is the importance of keeping up to date with the latest research?

Keeping up to date with the latest research is crucial for staying informed about new developments, techniques, and discoveries in your field. It allows you to build upon existing knowledge and stay current with emerging trends, which can be beneficial for your own research and career growth.

3. How often should I check for new articles and journals?

The frequency of checking for new articles and journals can vary depending on your field and the pace of research in your area. However, it is recommended to check for new publications at least once a week to stay updated. You can also set up automated alerts or notifications to receive updates whenever new articles are published.

4. Is it necessary to read every article or journal in its entirety?

No, it is not necessary to read every article or journal in its entirety. You can skim through the abstract, introduction, and conclusion to get a general idea of the research and its findings. You can also focus on articles that are most relevant to your current research or interests.

5. How can I differentiate between reputable and unreliable journals?

To differentiate between reputable and unreliable journals, you can check if the journal is indexed in reputable databases, such as PubMed or Scopus. You can also look for information about the journal's peer review process, publication fees, and impact factor. Additionally, you can ask for recommendations from colleagues or mentors in your field.