Deciding Between Physics & Engineering for College: Advice Needed

In summary: If you want a job in engineering, you'll need to have a degree in engineering. However, even with a degree in engineering, you're not guaranteed a job. You'll still need to show that you're a good fit for the position and have the skills and abilities that the company is looking for. In summary, if you're undecided about what to study next semester, you should take a physics class to see if you fit in with the program. If you still don't feel confident in your ability to do physics, then you should consider another major. Physics is a difficult subject, but if you're willing to put in the work, it's definitely worth it.
iasc
I am going to college next september and need to choose what I want to study.
I am going between physics and engineering and I would choose physics except I don't know if i'll be smart enough for it and also I don't think there are many jobs in it.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a lot of overlap between the two, so I see no reason why you need to choose what you want to study right now. You've got a few semesters, at least every place I've ever heard of, to decide on a major. Take a physics class and see how you do.

Also, why don't you think you're smart enough for physics? If you truly ARE too dumb for physics, you'll also be too dumb for engineering. However, I'm curious why you think that about yourself? That could very well be a self-fulfilling prophecy. I can imagine a situation where you come up against a tough physics problem, and instead of hunkering down and saying "I'm going to get this, hell or high water," you instead say "I guess I'm too dumb for physics, I give up." If that's going to be your mental attitude, don't even try.

As for jobs, if you want to be an actual physicist, you'll need a PhD. However, a BS in physics will still open a lot of doors. A lot of "engineers" today are people with a physics degree. Plus, pretty much any job will look favorably on a physics degree, because a physics degree shows strong problem-solving skills and analytical thinking.

Its not that I think I'm too dumb, its just I've heard that you have to be very smart to do physics (its theoretical physics I was thinking of doing). Also I tend to struggle sometimes with some of the very hard questions

iasc said:
I tend to struggle sometimes with some of the very hard questions

I think you're supposed to. That's why they're "very hard questions."

I'm only in my first semester of calc-based physics at the moment, and the professor goes out of his way to make the "challenge problems" in the book part of the homework assignment. He even puts problems like that on the exams. I got the highest grade in the class at an 88% on the exam. These problems are difficult. On the homework, I spent hours trying to figure out one problem, and in the end, I missed one little thing that caused me to get the wrong answer.

Now, I'm no dummy. I've got a rather high IQ, and my brain is very math-oriented. Even I had to stop and think on these physics problems. That's what they're there for.

If there was no need to struggle on some of the problems, they'd hardly qualify as physics problems. I've read stories and posts on here where in some of the upper level physics courses, the highest grade in the class is something like a 65%. A fellow student of mine, whose friend took physics at UMBC, said the teacher had a 30 point curve for that class.

Physics is hard. Unless you're Richard Feynman, you're not going to solve these problems at a glance. You're supposed to struggle on the very hard questions.

You should probably spend some time investigating what a physicist does and what an engineer does so that in the end you can make an educated decision. Attend some university campuses, go on tours, and speak with current students and professors. Job shadow an engineer for a day or two and see what he or she does.

With respect to jobs - there are jobs available to physicists, despite what many people would have you believe. Engineering however, is a profession and as such has a more easily identifyable demand.

1. What is the main difference between studying Physics and Engineering in college?

The main difference between studying Physics and Engineering in college is that Physics focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles of the natural world, while Engineering applies these principles to design and create practical solutions to real-world problems. In other words, Physics is more theoretical and conceptual, while Engineering is more applied.

2. Which major is more challenging, Physics or Engineering?

Both Physics and Engineering are challenging majors, but they have different types of challenges. Physics requires a strong mathematical and analytical background, as well as a deep understanding of complex concepts. Engineering, on the other hand, requires a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical skills, such as problem-solving and design abilities. Ultimately, the level of difficulty will depend on the individual's strengths and interests.

3. Can I major in both Physics and Engineering?

It is possible to double major in Physics and Engineering, but it may require a significant amount of time and effort. If you are interested in both subjects, you could also consider a major in Engineering Physics, which combines elements of both fields.

4. What career opportunities are available for Physics and Engineering majors?

Physics and Engineering majors have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Physics majors often pursue careers in research, teaching, or technology-related fields, while Engineering majors typically work in industries such as aerospace, automotive, or energy. However, both majors have a diverse set of skills that can be applied to various industries and job roles.

5. How do I decide between studying Physics or Engineering in college?

The best way to decide between studying Physics or Engineering is to consider your strengths, interests, and career goals. If you have a strong passion for understanding the fundamental laws of the universe and enjoy theoretical and mathematical concepts, then Physics may be the right choice for you. If you are interested in applying scientific principles to solve real-world problems and have a strong interest in design and innovation, then Engineering may be a better fit. It's important to research the curriculum and career opportunities for both majors and speak with academic advisors to make an informed decision.