Mechanics of a torsion pendulum

In summary: In short, if the spring's motion is damped, then the Lagrangian would change because the virtual work term would be different. However, the frequency of small oscillations would not change because the virtual work term would be the same, but the potential energy would be different because the damping would change the kinetic energy.
bojibridge
I'm curious as to how you would write a Lagrangian for a torsion pendulum. Say you've got some disc that has mass and it's attached by a spring with spring constant k to a stationary "ceiling" of some kind and has gravity acting on it downwards. So, not only has it got rotational energy, but it's also moving up and down, so it's got some kind of translational kinetic energy as well. I guess the potential part of it would be from gravity and then from the spring potential. Can you think of any forces of constraints that might go along with it? Any other interesting points? Perhaps one could find the frequency of small oscillations using Taylor series? I guess I'm just looking to pick up all the pieces involved in such a problem.

(This is not a homework question per se, but if someone thinks it would go better in the homework discussions, I can move it.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically the change in gravitational potential energy is negligible in such a problem as this. Therefore, the kinetic energy is
T = (1/2)*J*w^2
ane the potential energy is
V = (1/2)*k*theta^2
where w = theta-dot
Then L = T-V as usual.

The frequency for small vibrations is f,

2*pi*f = sqrt(k/J)

It is unrealistic to expect significant axial (vertical) motion while talking about small angular motions only. Even for rather large angular motions, the axial motion is usually very slight, so this is just not much of a problem. It is hard to make axial motion a part of the problem short of mounting the rotor on a screw.

Would the Lagrangian change if the spring's motion was damped? If so, how would you take that into account?

The Lagrangian does not change. Damping has to be taken into account with a nonconservative virtual work term in the variational indicator.

I'm not familiar with the term "variational indicator." Do you mean when you set the Lagrangian equal to... um, where you set it to some generalized external force?

Are you acquainted with Hamilton's Principle? Hamilton's Principle is the statement that the time integral of the variation of the Lagrangian + the variation in the nonconservative virtual work is zero over the time between two states t1 and t2. This leads to the Lagrange eqns of motion. The potential energy portion of the Lagrangian gives rise to the potential driven generalized forces, and the nonservative virtual work accounts for the nonservative generalized forces (such as friction, time dependent forces, etc).

You might want to look fo the book Dynamics of Mechanical and Electromechanical Systems by Crandall, et. al. McGraw-Hill, 1968 (?). It givess an exceptionally fine treatment of this whole formulation.

Okay - can you expand on your last sentence? I'm not sure I totally understand what you're saying. (My mechanics is pretty rusty, sorry.)

Oh, I just read your second post. I'm going to see if I can find it.

1. What is a torsion pendulum?

A torsion pendulum is a device used to measure the effects of torsion, or twisting force, on an object. It typically consists of a mass attached to a rod or wire that is suspended from a fixed point and allowed to rotate freely.

2. How does a torsion pendulum work?

A torsion pendulum works by measuring the oscillations or rotations of the suspended mass caused by a twisting force applied to the rod or wire. The period of oscillation is affected by the properties of the material and the length of the rod or wire.

3. What factors affect the period of a torsion pendulum?

The period of a torsion pendulum is affected by the mass of the suspended object, the length and thickness of the rod or wire, and the type of material used. Any changes to these factors can affect the period and accuracy of the pendulum's measurements.

4. What is the significance of the torsion constant in a torsion pendulum?

The torsion constant is a measure of the stiffness of the rod or wire used in a torsion pendulum. It is an important factor in calculating the period of oscillation and can also affect the accuracy of the pendulum's measurements.

5. What are some practical applications of torsion pendulums?

Torsion pendulums are commonly used in scientific research and experiments to measure the effects of torsion on different materials. They are also used in the development and testing of mechanical components, such as springs and bearings, to ensure they can withstand torsional forces. Additionally, torsion pendulums have been used in geology to measure the density and elasticity of different types of rocks.