Matter and Inertia: Exploring a Singular Universe in Motion

In summary, the question of whether an isolated object would have inertia is improper as it would not have a defined frame of reference for motion. However, if the object has mass, it will always have inertia regardless of its state of motion. This is because inertia is an object's resistance to a change in its state of motion, and mass is a measure of this resistance. Therefore, an isolated object will always have inertia, even if it is not in motion or if motion is not defined for it.
timetraveldude
Consider this thought experiment. If only one object existed in all the universe and it was moving would it have inertia?

Physics news on Phys.org
It has inertia regardless of whether or not it was moving. Inertia is not a function of speed.

timetraveldude said:
Consider this thought experiment. If only one object existed in all the universe and it was moving would it have inertia?
If it was just one object, you would not be able to define movement. So the question is improper. A more interesting question is If there was one object plus yourself as observer, would both of you have inertia?

JohnDubYa said:
It has inertia regardless of whether or not it was moving. Inertia is not a function of speed.
The question is more about what is the cause of inertia.

krab said:
If it was just one object, you would not be able to define movement. So the question is improper. A more interesting question is If there was one object plus yourself as observer, would both of you have inertia?
That is true but given the fact that you can't define motion does an object completely isolated have inertia?

Inertia requires a frame of reference. If your frame of reference includes this object at rest, then the object will have no inertia in that frame. If your frame of reference has the object in motion, then the object has inertia in that frame.

Pergatory said:
Inertia requires a frame of reference. If your frame of reference includes this object at rest, then the object will have no inertia in that frame. If your frame of reference has the object in motion, then the object has inertia in that frame.

Isn't that describing momentum? I thought inertia and momentum were different things.

Inertia is an object's resistance to a change in its state of motion. To my understanding, mass is a measure of inertia. If your object has mass, then it has inertia, whether it is at rest or not. Zero momentum is not equivalent to zero inertia.

I'm sorry, you're right, for some reason I always have those two switched in my mind. The object will always have inertia regardless of whether it is in motion or not. Of course, without an understanding of our own universe, we would never know it has inertia because no external forces would act upon it. However, we know it would still have inertia because if some force WERE to suddenly act upon it, it would exert equal and opposite forces to oppose its acceleration.

Last edited:
Pergatory said:
I'm sorry, you're right, for some reason I always have those two switched in my mind. The object will always have inertia regardless of whether it is in motion or not. Of course, without an understanding of our own universe, we would never know it has inertia because no external forces would act upon it. However, we know it would still have inertia because if some force WERE to suddenly act upon it, it would exert equal and opposite forces to oppose its acceleration.
The question remains does the object I described have inertia?

timetraveldude said:
The question remains does the object I described have inertia?
timetraveldude said:
If your object has mass, then it has inertia, whether it is at rest or not.

You have answered your own question. By isolating the object, you only ensure that no forces will act upon it. You are nullifying the effect of inertia because how can an object resist zero change? However, nullifying inertia does not eliminate inertia. If some force in the future should act upon that object, inertia will again spring into action. As long as the object has mass and is governed by physics as we know, it will always have inertia.

Allow me to draw an analogy: If you slack all tension in a rubber-band and set it on a table, is the rubber-band still elastic?

If it has mass, it has inertia.

Gokul43201 said:
If it has mass, it has inertia.
If motion is not defined [for the object] how can inertia be defined?

If some internal reaction within the object causes it to divide into two or more parts, then the velocities of these parts (in the frame of the mother object - the bomb) is inversely related to their inertias. These parts could recombine (because they are oppositely charged ?) and re-form into the mother object, which then has velocity in the frame of one of the sub-parts.

It is not clear to me that Physics, which was created to model our multi-particle universe, has anything meaningful to say about such a non physical universe. Non Physical assumptions lead to no meaningful results.

Gokul43201 said:
If some internal reaction within the object causes it to divide into two or more parts, then the velocities of these parts (in the frame of the mother object - the bomb) is inversely related to their inertias. These parts could recombine (because they are oppositely charged ?) and re-form into the mother object, which then has velocity in the frame of one of the sub-parts.
Stick to the topic there is nothing mentioned about dividing. Just answer the question.

Integral said:
It is not clear to me that Physics, which was created to model our multi-particle universe, has anything meaningful to say about such a non physical universe. Non Physical assumptions lead to no meaningful results.
I understand and agree with your point. What I am trying to do is build up an idea based on this hypothetical situation that will eventually have some physical meaning.

timetraveldude said:
If motion is not defined [for the object] how can inertia be defined?

Why is motion a requisite for inertia? You said yourself that if the object has mass, it has inertia. This is the only requisite. Motion is merely a matter of the frame of reference. Inertia exists independant of a frame of reference. To say that an isolated object would not have inertia is to say that an isolated object would not have mass.

I can tell you are trying to lead us somewhere with this and not having much luck. Why don't you just come out and say what you're trying to say?

Pergatory said:
Why is motion a requisite for inertia? You said yourself that if the object has mass, it has inertia. This is the only requisite. Motion is merely a matter of the frame of reference. Inertia exists independant of a frame of reference. To say that an isolated object would not have inertia is to say that an isolated object would not have mass.

I can tell you are trying to lead us somewhere with this and not having much luck. Why don't you just come out and say what you're trying to say?
I'm not trying to lead you somewhere. I am trying to get a discussion going.

Inertia is resistance to change in motion. If motion is not defined how can resistance to change in motion be defined?

If no current is going through a wire, does it still have resistance?

If a tree falls in the woods, and on one is around to hear it...

Last edited:
Pergatory said:
If no current is going through a wire, does it still have resistance?

If a tree falls in the woods, and on one is around to hear it...
You examples do not apply. You have confused current not being present in a particular place with the non-existence of current anywhere. Resistance still exists in the wire because you could apply a current to it. As far as the second example goes that is just a stupid question. If you are not going to ask adult questions then leave.

If your object is going to be sitting about in space doing nothing (it's not allowed to blow up and give rise to anything useful) why bother talking about it. There's nothing happening there. What's to talk about ? Chuck momentum, time, energy, temperature, color, etc. out the window. They are all meaningless. Why just 'inertia' ?

And 'inertia' is not a physical quantity. It is an archaic term that is now loosely used by people who are afraid of using real physical terms.

If you're not there in this universe with your lonely object, how do you know it's there? And if this is some hypothetical universe, why stick with our existing framwork of physics. But if you do, then what caused this abject to be in its current state - did it result from a uniform distribution of particles that gravitationally condensed onto your object ? There are so many more pertinent questions to ask that "does it have inertia?"

And finally, is this object rotating ? If not, I've got more things to chuck out the window...

Last edited:
timetraveldude said:
You examples do not apply. You have confused current not being present in a particular place with the non-existence of current anywhere. Resistance still exists in the wire because you could apply a current to it. As far as the second example goes that is just a stupid question. If you are not going to ask adult questions then leave.

Don't get condescending on me. Your question is philosophical, not scientific. It's trivial. It's no different from the questions I have asked. You are asking whether something exists when it cannot be measured, and its effects are non-existant. No one will ever be able to answer your question with certainty because your scenario is, as Integral pointed out, non-physical. If your understanding is lacking such that you cannot see the connection between your question and mine, that gives you no right to insult my responses.

timetraveldude said:
If you are not going to ask adult questions then leave.
His question makes as much sense as yours.

The object's inertia is equal to [tex]\frac{0}{0}[/tex]

I find the question interesting, and somewhat of a paradox.
In a universe devoid of all matter except for a single mass object, the object cannot be "moving" because it is moving relative to nothing, unless one defines "boundaries" of the universe; thus establishing a frame of referance.
Also, does that object have a "changing position" at any given time, with respect to that devoid universe? If the "universe" is considered "eternally" extensive, the answer is no, as position is meaningless in an eternal environment.
If you have an infinite yardstick, such that both ends continue to infinity, can one mark two segments separate from each another? One might think yes, but infinity cannot be divided, thus discreet separation is not possible.
Movement, per say, requires separation of identity locality and this is not possible in an infinite universe.
Thus, your object cannot move, and so cannot ever experience the attributes of inertia.

pallidin said:
...If you have an infinite yardstick, such that both ends continue to infinity, can one mark two segments separate from each another? One might think yes, but infinity cannot be divided, thus discreet separation is not possible.

What is the set of integers if not such a yardstick. So do you not have distict integers in this set ? Is this infinite yardstick not divided into finite segments ?

Gokul43201 said:
What is the set of integers if not such a yardstick. So do you not have distict integers in this set ? Is this infinite yardstick not divided into finite segments ?

Infinity cannot be segmented, else the concept of infinity is of no effect.

An infinite yardstick will curve upon itself, thus having no "ends". Being an infinite extension, this "curving upon itself" will continue again and again without end.
Thus, what happens is that if you mark 2 separate points on that infinite yardstick, the multiple curvings will "blur" any distinction between the two, so much so that the "blurring" encompasses the entire infinite yardstick, and the "2 separate marks" become one with infinity!

You state this as if it counters my objection. How do you resolve the conflict between your statement and my example ?

What do you mean by "infinity", "segmented", and "of no effect" ? Could you clarify using mathematical terms instead of vagaries.

EDIT : I retract above questions (though my first is still unanswered), and would like to replace them with others, but some other time...don't have the energy for this banter.

Last edited:
Given the nature of the concept of "infinity", mathematical expression is hard pressed with valid extensions.
Thus I can offer none but the most foundational and, argurably, useless, as the concept of infinity is as different as quantum mechanics is to classical.

Look up Mach's Principle. According to which an object's inertia depends upon all the other mass in the universe. It is not falsifiable, so strictly not in the domain of physics. But this line of thinking did led Einstein to the General Theory of Relativity.

timetraveldude said:
If you speak a word "universe" then it means existence of all attributes inherent in it.
This is the space, time, gravitation, light and … at least one black hole in the center of this universe. Without each of this “component” existence of universe and object (mass) itself is impossible. Then, what is your question ?

timetraveldude said:
Stick to the topic there is nothing mentioned about dividing. Just answer the question.

He did answer the question. You're just saying that you don't like the answer!

I think Timetraveldude question is not well set. The only "unique object" possible is an elementar particle. In this case the question has no sense because there could never be inertial effects. To have it, we should demonstrate that it is not adimensional and it can rotate (not the quantistic spin, of course).

All other objects are formed by more than one particle, so there can be inertial effects.

I think I would probably used the following question instead: "Given a universe with just one elementar particle, the total energy of this universe is greater than zero?" and I think the anwer is "no"

Last edited:
Dina-Moe Hum said:
I think Timetraveldude question is not well set. The only "unique object" possible is an elementar particle. In this case the question has no sense because there could never be inertial effects. To have it, we should demonstrate that it is not adimensional and it can rotate (not the quantistic spin, of course).

All other objects are formed by more than one particle, so there can be inertial effects.

I think I would probably used the following question instead: "Given a universe with just one elementar particle, the total energy of this universe is greater than zero?" and I think the anwer is "no"
Does this elementary particle you talk about have size?

1. What is matter and why is it important in our universe?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. It is important in our universe because it makes up everything we see and interact with, from the smallest particles to the largest celestial bodies. Matter is also essential for the existence of life as we know it.

2. What is inertia and how does it relate to matter?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is directly related to matter because an object's inertia is determined by its mass, which is a measure of the amount of matter it contains. The more mass an object has, the greater its inertia.

3. How does the study of matter and inertia contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By studying matter and inertia, scientists are able to better understand the fundamental laws of physics that govern the behavior of our universe. This knowledge allows us to make predictions about the behavior of matter and objects in motion, and has led to many advancements in technology and our understanding of the cosmos.

4. Can matter and inertia be observed and measured?

Yes, matter and inertia can be observed and measured through various experiments and observations. Scientists use tools such as scales, rulers, and accelerometers to measure the mass and inertia of objects. They also use advanced technologies like particle accelerators and telescopes to study matter and its behavior on a larger scale.

5. How does the concept of a "singular universe" tie into the study of matter and inertia?

The concept of a "singular universe" refers to the idea that all matter and energy in the universe originated from a single point, known as the Big Bang. The study of matter and inertia helps us understand how this initial singularity gave rise to the diverse and complex universe we see today. It also helps us understand the forces and processes that continue to shape our universe and the objects within it.