Solving for Net Force on Third Particle: What's Missing?

In summary: If q3 is on the x axis, either to the right or to the left of both q1 qnd q2, then the resultant force between q1 and q3 and q2 and q3 will be towards q2.
Warlax
particle 1 of charge q1 = +1.2 µC and particle 2 of charge q2 = -2.5 µC, are held at separation L = 14 cm on an x axis. If particle 3 of unknown charge q3 is to be located such that the net electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero, what must be the (a) x and (b) y coordinates of particle 3?

I tried expressing the net electrostatic force on the third particle both on the x-axis and on the y-axis. The net force on both axis is =0. I introduced angles alpha and beta to express the angle between the x-axis and a line from particle 1 or particle 2 to particle 3, respectively. I can find the net electrostatic force using this and the Pythagorean theorem - but the expression has too many unknowns to be solved for x and y of the 3rd particle.

What am I missing here? How should I go about solving this?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Net force will be zero only on x-axis.
The neutral point will be out side the line joining the two charges nearer to the smaller charge.

rl.bhat said:
Net force will be zero only on x-axis.
The neutral point will be out side the line joining the two charges nearer to the smaller charge.

Thanks for your reply,

Why would the force only be zero on the x-axis?
q1 and q2 are of opposite charge so one is pulling on q3 and another is pushing against it... wouldn't that make q3 have a zero net force on the y-axis as well.

In addition, how do I approach this problem? I need to find the x,y coordinates of q3.

Warlax said:
Thanks for your reply,

Why would the force only be zero on the x-axis?
q1 and q2 are of opposite charge so one is pulling on q3 and another is pushing against it... wouldn't that make q3 have a zero net force on the y-axis as well.

In addition, how do I approach this problem? I need to find the x,y coordinates of q3.
If +q3 is placed on y-axis, force between q1and q3 will be away from q1 and force between q2 and q3 will be towards q2. The resultant of these forces cannot be zero. because they are not in a line.

rl.bhat said:
If +q3 is placed on y-axis, force between q1and q3 will be away from q1 and force between q2 and q3 will be towards q2. The resultant of these forces cannot be zero. because they are not in a line.

Oh, I see... so this reduces the problem to something more like:
What if q3 is on the x axis, either to the right or to the left of both q1 qnd q2?

Am I correct?

1. What is the net force on the third particle?

The net force on the third particle is the overall force acting on the particle, taking into account all the individual forces acting on it.

2. How do you solve for net force on the third particle?

To solve for net force on the third particle, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the particle, and their magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use the vector addition method, such as drawing a free body diagram or using mathematical equations, to find the overall net force.

3. What information is needed to solve for net force on the third particle?

You need to know the magnitudes and directions of all the individual forces acting on the third particle, as well as the mass of the particle.

4. Why is it important to solve for net force on the third particle?

Solving for net force on the third particle helps us understand the overall motion and behavior of the particle. It can also help determine if the particle will accelerate, decelerate, or remain in equilibrium.

5. What could be missing if the net force on the third particle is zero?

If the net force on the third particle is zero, it means that the particle is in equilibrium and all the forces acting on it are balanced. However, there could be missing forces or information that is not being taken into account, leading to an inaccurate calculation of the net force.