What is the Proof of sup(A)+1 as the Least Upper Bound for B=A+1?

In summary, we are asked to prove that for a non-empty, bounded set A, if we define B as A+1, then the supremum of B is equal to the supremum of A plus 1. One way to approach this is by showing that the supremum of A plus 1 is an upper bound for B, and then proving that it is the least upper bound.
ak123456

Homework Statement

Let A [tex]\in[/tex]R be a non-empty,bounded set .Define
B=A+1=[tex]\left\{[/tex]a+1:a[tex]\in[/tex]A[tex]\right\}[/tex] Prove that sup(B) =sup(A)+1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

let a[tex]\in[/tex]A b[tex]\in[/tex]B s[tex]\in[/tex]R because B=A+1=[tex]\left\{[/tex]a+1:a[tex]\in[/tex]A[tex]\right\}[/tex]
so b=a+1 [tex]\forall[/tex]b[tex]\in[/tex]B s>= b [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] s>=a+1 , s>=a so sup(B) =sup(A)+1
i thought that is too simple in my way , any other ways?

Physics news on Phys.org

From the definition of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex], if [itex]\mathrm{sup}(A) = \alpha[/itex] then we clearly have that [itex]\alpha + 1 \geq a + 1 = b[/itex]. This proves that [itex]\mathrm{sup}(A) + 1[/itex] is an upperbound for [itex]B[/itex]. Now can you prove that this number must be the least upper bound?

jgens said:
From the definition of [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex], if [itex]\mathrm{sup}(A) = \alpha[/itex] then we clearly have that [itex]\alpha + 1 \geq a + 1 = b[/itex]. This proves that [itex]\mathrm{sup}(A) + 1[/itex] is an upperbound for [itex]B[/itex]. Now can you prove that this number must be the least upper bound?

i see ,thx

1. What is analysis in math?

Analysis in math is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change and the properties and relationships of functions. It involves the use of calculus, limits, and proofs to understand and solve problems.

2. How is analysis used in real life?

Analysis is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting the growth of a population, modeling the spread of diseases, and determining the optimal strategy in economics. It is also used in fields like physics, engineering, and finance to analyze data and make predictions.

3. What are some key concepts in analysis?

Some key concepts in analysis include limits, derivatives, integrals, continuity, and convergence. These concepts are used to understand and solve problems involving functions and their behaviors.

4. What are some common techniques used in analysis?

Some common techniques used in analysis include differentiation, integration, series expansions, and the use of mathematical theorems and proofs. These techniques are used to analyze functions and their properties in order to solve problems.

5. How can I improve my analysis skills?

To improve your analysis skills, it is important to practice solving problems and working through proofs. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of calculus and algebra. Additionally, reading and studying textbooks and attending lectures or workshops can also improve your analysis skills.