Develop Cubic equation with a few points

In summary, to write the equation of a cubic function with a y-intercept of 1, a local minimum at (3,1), and passing through point (2,5), you need to find the values of a, b, and c in the equation f(x) = a*x^3 + b*x^2 + c*x + 1. Using the information given, you can create three equations by plugging in the given points and using the definition of a local minimum. Then, you can use elimination to solve for the values of a, b, and c and write the final equation. If you have not learned about derivatives, there may be another method to find the third equation.
LSCupcake

Homework Statement

Write the equation of the cubic function with a y-intercept at 1, a local minimum of (3,1) and through point (2,5)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that d= +1 and that's about it. I am really stuck and needs to know this for my summative on Tuesday. If anyone has an idea what to do, pleasseee help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, yes d=1. That's a start. So f(x)=a*x^3+b*x^2+c*x+1. You need to find a,b and c. You know f(3)=1 and f(2)=5, right? That's 2 equations in the 3 unknowns a, b and c. You need one more. What does having a local min at x=3 tell you?

a local min means that the slope is zero...does that mean that y=0?
I still don't understand what to do...do I use elimation with the 3 equations?

LSCupcake said:
a local min means that the slope is zero...does that mean that y=0?
I still don't understand what to do...do I use elimation with the 3 equations?

Yes, you are going to use elimination with the 3 equations once you get them. A local min means slope is zero, alright, but that doesn't mean y=0, it means f'(3)=0. What's f'(x)?

I can't use f'(x) because we learn that in calculas, that is a derivative right? And I haven't taken calculas yet.

LSCupcake said:
I can't use f'(x) because we learn that in calculas, that is a derivative right? And I haven't taken calculas yet.

Yes, that's a derivative. If you can't use that then you must have been told something about minima of cubics that will let you get the third equation.

1. What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the third degree, meaning that it has a variable raised to the power of 3 and other lower powers. It can be written in the form of ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants.

2. How do you develop a cubic equation with a few points?

To develop a cubic equation with a few points, you can use the method of interpolation. This involves finding the equation of a curve that passes through the given points. Using the coordinates of the points, you can substitute them into the general form of a cubic equation and solve for the constants a, b, c, and d.

3. What are the key points needed to develop a cubic equation?

To develop a cubic equation, you will need at least 3 points. These points should have different x-values to ensure that the equation is of the third degree. Additionally, you can use more points to increase the accuracy of the equation.

4. What are the applications of cubic equations?

Cubic equations have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model motion, find the optimal solution to a problem, or predict the behavior of a system.

5. Are there any special cases when developing a cubic equation?

Yes, there are two special cases when developing a cubic equation: when all the points lie on a straight line and when two points have the same x-value. In these cases, it is not possible to develop a unique cubic equation that passes through all the points, and alternative methods such as linear interpolation or quadratic interpolation should be used.