Calculate Speed from Magnetic Pull Force

In summary, the person is trying to find an equation for the speed of an object based off how much force is applied to it. They are new to the site and ask a question. They state that if this isn't clear enough, they are welcome to give more information. They explain Newton's Second Law. They say that if you want to find the speed of an object based off of a magnetic force, you would have to do research on something called a solenoid. They say that they are getting a headache and that alot of their issues are the same repeating ones over and over again. They mention that they don't know too much about electrics, but that they want to get it done.
ironman13405
Okay i am new to this site so i figured this would be the best place to post this. I need an equation for my project i am working on.

I need an equation to find the speed of a object based off how much force is applied to it.

If this isn't clear enough i am welcome to give more information. Let me know

Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma

dacruick said:
F=ma

Could you explain? Yes i am very new to this..

The force(F) times the time for which it acts(t) is equal to the mass of the object(M) times the change of velocity of the object....Ft=M times velocity change.This is Newtons second law(as is F=Ma where a is acceleration)

Okay, sorry for the abrupt answer. This is Newton's Second Law. It states that mass of the object, multiplied by the acceleration of the object, is the Force applied.

But in a more practical sense, in the context that you want to use it this is essence.

If you apply a certain force to an object of mass 'm', the acceleration of that object will be the Force divided by mass. Your acceleration is measure in metres per second squared. So say your acceleration is 10 m/s². That means that your speed increases by 10 metres / second, per second. Or, every second that passes you have an increase of speed of 10 metres per second.

What is it that you are trying to do exactly?

dacruick said:
What is it that you are trying to do exactly?

I trying to show my friend how unlikely the idea he has is unlikely to work. Cause we both are going against each other (In order to get things done faster cause we want to beat each other) to make a gauss gun. I've made many coil designs some of which do amazing. But i have wasted a lot of money due to the lack of physics understandning. I am starting to get more into, and its helping greatly

coil designs as in springs? because if you have a spring Newton's second law has a change

No coils as in eletric.

So tell me if i got this right let's say i where to apply 200 pounds of force to a 5 gram object.

there are .2248 pounds in one Newton so that would be 889.67972 N then you would divide by 5 grams to make 177m/s and there are .44m/s in one MPH.. so thus it would be 395 MPH.. right?

mass is measured in SI units of kilograms. So youre going to have to divide that 5 by 1000. which will give your answer a couple more 0's

but i forgot that your force is magnetic. you have current running through a coil and you want to figure out the force? you would have to do research on something called a solenoid then. which is going to make your calculations more complicated.

I found the equation for for magnetic force

F=A*N*I (((mu0*N*)/(*(C)^2)) +(1/CL)

or you can do its for railgun

step one H = (N*I)/M

Step two B= (H*mu0)/A

Step three F= B*L*I

Step four speed = ((F*T)/W) *3.33

Im not sure what all of your variables are, but the equations look good. give it a shot and see if your answer is plausible

It gets more and more confusing the more i travel down the rabit hole. I am collecting data mostly from

http://www.intalek.com/AV/Railguns-Tim-Ventura-1994-2.pdf

My design is very apart from his but they follow the same concept. I am getting a major headache haha. Alot of my issues are the same repeating ones over and over again. Energy lost due to heat, the melting of wire due to heat, and etc. Let alone i don't know too much about eletrics... i am slowly finding out more and more.. i want to get it done haha. I have unlimited resources too, cause we are working through a school program, so it helps

yeah electrics arent my forte either. I don't think i can help you any further. but good luck definitely

1. How do I calculate speed from magnetic pull force?

To calculate speed from magnetic pull force, you will need to use the formula: speed = (magnetic pull force x distance) / mass. This formula takes into account the strength of the magnetic force, the distance traveled, and the mass of the object being pulled. By plugging in these values, you can determine the speed at which the object will be pulled towards the magnet.

2. What is the relationship between magnetic pull force and speed?

The relationship between magnetic pull force and speed is directly proportional. This means that as the magnetic force increases, the speed at which the object is pulled towards the magnet will also increase. However, this relationship can also be affected by other factors such as distance and mass.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate speed for all magnetic pull forces?

No, the formula for calculating speed from magnetic pull force may vary depending on the specific situation. For example, if the magnetic force is not constant throughout the distance traveled, the formula may need to be adjusted to account for this. It is important to consider all variables when using this formula to calculate speed.

4. Are there any limitations to using magnetic pull force to calculate speed?

One limitation of using magnetic pull force to calculate speed is that it may not accurately reflect the true speed of the object in all situations. For instance, if the object being pulled has a non-uniform shape or is affected by other forces, the calculated speed may not be exact. Additionally, factors such as air resistance can also impact the actual speed of the object.

5. How is this calculation useful in real-world applications?

The calculation of speed from magnetic pull force has various real-world applications. For example, it can be used in the design and testing of magnetic levitation systems, where the speed at which an object is pulled towards a magnet is crucial. It can also be useful in industries such as transportation, where the speed of a magnetic train or vehicle can be determined using this formula.