Is (0,0) a Point on the Graph of y=x^-1?

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the function y=\frac{1}{x^{-1}} is defined at x=0. It is concluded that the function is not defined at x=0 and cannot be simplified to x due to undefinedness at 0. The possibility of using the rule of powers to simplify the function is also mentioned, but it is clarified that this rule only works for x\ne0.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
If I'm asked to graph this function: [tex]y=\frac{1}{x^{-1}}[/tex]

Is x=0 undefined? Obviously by the rule of powers, this equation is the same as y=x, but I'm unsure if the point (0,0) exists in this equation or not.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
That function is not defined at x=0. To simplify it to x, you rely on the fact that you can multiply by 1=x/x. But x/x isn't defined when x=0, so you can't use simplification to get around the undefinedness at 0.

Yes, if I converted the power to a fraction as so: [tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex] then I'd be relying on that rule, but what about if I used the rule of powers, i.e. [tex]\frac{1}{x^a}=x^{-a}[/tex] So simply, [tex]\frac{1}{x^{-1}}=x^{-(-1)}=x[/tex]

It just seems to me that only sometimes this is undefined, depending on how you treat the problem.

Sort of like [tex]\sqrt{x^2}=|x|[/tex] while [tex](\sqrt{x})^2=x[/tex] and defined for only [itex]x\geq 0[/itex]

That rule explicitly requires [tex]x\ne0[/tex].

Ahh yes, of course!

Thanks tinyboss :smile:

1. Is x=0 undefined for y=x?

Yes, x=0 is undefined for y=x because when x=0, any value for y will satisfy the equation. This means that there is no unique solution for y when x=0.

2. Can x=0 be substituted into the equation y=x?

Yes, x=0 can be substituted into the equation y=x, but it will result in an undefined value for y.

3. Why is x=0 undefined for y=x?

X=0 is undefined for y=x because it violates the fundamental mathematical principle of a one-to-one correspondence. In other words, there is not a unique output (y) for every input (x).

4. What is the significance of x=0 being undefined for y=x?

The significance of x=0 being undefined for y=x is that it highlights the importance of understanding the domain and range of a function. In this case, the domain of the function y=x is all real numbers except for 0, while the range is all real numbers.

5. Can there be other values of x that make y=x undefined?

Yes, there can be other values of x that make y=x undefined. Any value of x that results in a non-unique solution for y, or violates the one-to-one correspondence principle, will make y=x undefined.