Linearly independent vectors

In summary: In general, if you have a set of equations with some constant numbers on one side and zero on the other side, any multiple of those constants will also satisfy all the equations. That multiple is the common factor.
PhysicsMark

Homework Statement

Suppose that A, B, and C are not linearly independent. Then show how the [tex]\alpha_{i}[/tex] can be computed, up to a common factor, from the scalar products of these vectors with each other.

Hint: Suppose that there are non-zero values of the [tex]\alpha_{i}[/tex]'s that satisfy [tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C}}=0.[/tex] Then, taking the dot product of both sides of this equation with A will yield a set of equations that can be solved for the [tex]\alpha_{i}[/tex]'s.

Homework Equations

[tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C}}=0.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Based off the instructions and hint I think they are asking me to solve for the [tex]\alpha[/tex]s of the following three equations:

[tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A{\cdot}A}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B{\cdot}A}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C{\cdot}A}}=0.[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A{\cdot}B}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B{\cdot}B}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C{\cdot}B}}=0.[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A{\cdot}C}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B{\cdot}C}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C{\cdot}C}}=0.[/tex]

Or, they could be asking me to solve for [tex]\alpha_{i}[/tex] of these 3 equations:

[tex]\alpha_{i}({\mathbf{A{\cdot}A}+{\mathbf{B{\cdot}A}+{\mathbf{C{\cdot}A}})=0.[/tex][tex]\alpha_{i}({\mathbf{A{\cdot}B}+{\mathbf{B{\cdot}B}+{\mathbf{C{\cdot}B}})=0.[/tex][tex]\alpha_{i}({\mathbf{A{\cdot}C}+{\mathbf{B{\cdot}C}+{\mathbf{C{\cdot}C}})=0.[/tex]

How do I solve for alpha? Matrices? Substitution? Elimination?
I'm not really sure what they mean by a common factor. Insight is always appreciated.

*Edited: Thanks for pointing that out Mark44!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsMark said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that A, B, and C are not linearly independent. Then show how the [tex]\alpha_{i}[/tex] can be computed, up to a common factor, from the scalar products of these vectors with each other.

Hint: Suppose that there are non-zero values of the [tex]\alpha_{i}[/tex]'s that satisfy [tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C}}=0.[/tex] Then, taking the dot product of both sides of this equation with A will yield a set of equations solved for the [tex]\alpha_{i}[/tex]'s.
I think the last sentence should say "... a set of equations that can be solved for ...
PhysicsMark said:

Homework Equations

[tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C}}=0.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Based off the instructions and hint I think they are asking me to solve for the [tex]\alpha[/tex]s of the following three equations:

[tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A{\cdot}A}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B{\cdot}A}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C{\cdot}A}}=0.[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A{\cdot}B}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B{\cdot}B}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C{\cdot}B}}=0.[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_{1}{\mathbf{A{\cdot}C}+{\alpha_{2}{\mathbf{B{\cdot}C}+{\alpha_{3}{\mathbf{C{\cdot}C}}=0.[/tex]
PhysicsMark said:
I think what you have above is the way to go.
Or, they could be asking me to solve for [tex]\alpha_{i}[/tex] of these 3 equations:

[tex]\alpha_{i}({\mathbf{A{\cdot}A}+{\mathbf{B{\cdot}A}+{\mathbf{C{\cdot}A}})=0.[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_{i}({\mathbf{A{\cdot}B}+{\mathbf{B{\cdot}B}+{\mathbf{C{\cdot}B}})=0.[/tex]

[tex]\alpha_{i}({\mathbf{A{\cdot}C}+{\mathbf{B{\cdot}C}+{\mathbf{C{\cdot}C}})=0.[/tex]
Carrying out the multiplication in the first equation (and changing the alphai to ci gives this equation
c1|A|2 + c2A.B + c3A.C = 0

Do the same for the other two equations. This gives you three equations in the unknowns c1, c2, and c3. This system of equations can be solved by a number of ways, including elimination or using matrices.
PhysicsMark said:
How do I solve for alpha? Matrices? Substitution? Elimination?
I'm not really sure what they mean by a common factor. Insight is always appreciated.

With regard to "common factor," suppose that 2A + B - 3C = 0. In the case, the constants are 2, 1, and -3. It will also be true that 4A + 2B - 6C = 0. In this case the constants are 4, 2, and -6. This triple of constants has a common factor of 2. Any triple of constants of the form 2t, t, -3t will work, and t is the common factor.

What are linearly independent vectors?

Linearly independent vectors are a set of vectors that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of each other. This means that no vector in the set can be written as a scalar multiple of another vector in the set.

How do you know if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

A set of vectors is linearly independent if the only solution to the equation c1v1 + c2v2 + ... + cnvn = 0 is when all the coefficients (c1, c2, ..., cn) are equal to 0. In other words, the only way to get a linear combination of the vectors equal to 0 is by setting all the coefficients to 0.

What does it mean for vectors to be linearly dependent?

Vectors are linearly dependent if at least one of the vectors in the set can be expressed as a linear combination of the other vectors in the set. This means that the set of vectors is not linearly independent.

Why is it important for vectors to be linearly independent?

Linearly independent vectors form the basis for vector spaces, which are essential in many areas of mathematics and science. They allow for the representation of a wide range of mathematical objects and systems, making them a fundamental concept in linear algebra and other fields.

How can linearly independent vectors be used in scientific research?

Linearly independent vectors are commonly used in scientific research for representing and analyzing data, solving systems of equations, and modeling complex systems. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science to describe and manipulate physical quantities and phenomena.