Joint Probability From Correlation Function

In summary, the question is how to determine the joint probability of a set of correlated binary variables. The correlation function and symmetric property are given, and the joint probability for two variables is calculated using the correlation function and the notation {Xi=xi, Xj=xi}. However, for more than two variables, higher moments are needed and the Teugels (1990) paper provides a formulation for a general multivariate Bernoulli with dependencies. Further assistance or input is appreciated.
Torkel
Dear all

I have the following problem. Given a set of correlated binary variables, can I determine the joint probability from the correlation function?

{Xi} is a set of binary variables
Pr(Xi=1) = p and Pr(Xi=0) = q for all i
Corr(Xi Xj) = cij

cij is symmetric

Now how can I determine the joint probability Pr({Xi, Xj, Xk ...})
For the joint probability of two variables I think I have the answer.
Noting that cij= (E(Xi Xj) - p2) / pq, and using the notation {Xi=xi,Xj=xi} -> {xi,xj}

I have
Pr( {1,1} )= E(Xi Xj) = p*q*cij + p2

and by symmetry
Pr( {0,0} ) = p*q*cij + q2

and Pr( {0,1} ) = Pr( {1,0} ) = ( 1-Pr({1,1})-Pr({0,0}) ) / 2 = p*q*(1- cij )
using that p+q = 1

How can I proceed to get Pr( {Xi,Xj, Xk} ), and generally Pr( {Xi,Xj, Xk, ….} )? I'm I missing something obvious? Any help or input is highly appreciated.

best
t

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will need higher moments - the pairwise correlations are not enough for n>2. Look into Teugels (1990) ‘Some Representations of the Multivariate Bernoulli and Binomial Distributions’, where he provides a formulation for a general multivariate Bernoulli with dependencies, for n dimensions.

Omri.

1. What is joint probability from correlation function?

Joint probability from correlation function is a statistical measure that describes the relationship between two variables. It determines the probability of two variables occurring together, based on their correlation.

2. How is joint probability from correlation function calculated?

Joint probability from correlation function is calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each variable occurring and then multiplying it by the correlation coefficient between the two variables.

3. What is the significance of joint probability from correlation function?

Joint probability from correlation function is significant because it helps to understand the strength and direction of the relationship between two variables. It also allows for the prediction of one variable based on the other.

4. How is joint probability from correlation function used in scientific research?

Joint probability from correlation function is commonly used in scientific research to analyze the relationship between two variables and to determine if there is a significant correlation between them. It is also used to make predictions and draw conclusions about the variables being studied.

5. Are there any limitations to using joint probability from correlation function?

Yes, there are limitations to using joint probability from correlation function. It assumes that the relationship between the variables is linear and that there are no other variables influencing the relationship. Additionally, it does not determine causation, only correlation.