Live-CD's? Violating policies?

• Thread starter graphic7
  • Start date
In summary, using a Live-Linux CD, such as "Knoppix", may go against college computer use guidelines. The college reserves the right to monitor network activity, including all e-mail and internet communications, and there is no expectation of privacy when using college resources. While the CD itself may not be subject to college restrictions, the college takes software licensing seriously and may take action if there is a violation. However, it is unlikely that the college will actively monitor network traffic unless there is a major incident, and attempting to encrypt internet traffic may draw more attention.
graphic7
Gold Member
I've been wondering if booting a Live-Linux CD, i.e. "Knoppix" goes against my college's computer use guidelines.

"k. Users must not attempt to modify system facilities or subvert the restrictions associated with their computer resource."

Furthermore:

"While the *** does not routinely do so, the *** is able
and reserves the right to monitor and / or log all network activity of
users without notice, including all e-mail and Internet communications.
Users should have no reasonable expectation of privacy in the
use of these resources."

Technically, they still have the capability to monitor network traffic coming from a Live-CD booted machine.

I'm not writing data to the hard-drive, and the CD, itself, isn't part of the computer or college property. So *they* don't have the right to impose restrictions on the CD itself, unless the restrictions comply with the GPL.
(All software on Knoppix is under the GPL, or some nondistributable but open-source license).

The college is also *very* serious about software licensing. Since the specific Knoppix distribution I use is open-source and consists of mostly GPL'd software, they have doing to worry about.

It's a vague topic, looking for some input.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I wouldn't worry too much. Unless there is a big incident they won't check their logs. There is just too much data to keep track off. If you try and get fancy by encrypting your internet traffic through a tunnel you'll might call more attention to yourself, if they have an intrusion dection system setup.

It is understandable that you are concerned about violating your college's computer use guidelines by using a Live-CD like Knoppix. However, based on the information provided, it does not seem like using a Live-CD would be considered a violation.

Firstly, as you mentioned, the Live-CD is not part of the college's property and therefore they do not have the right to impose restrictions on it. Additionally, since the software on Knoppix is under the GPL or other open-source licenses, it is not a violation of any software licensing policies.

Furthermore, while the college reserves the right to monitor network activity, they do not routinely do so. Therefore, unless they have a specific reason to monitor your network activity, using a Live-CD should not be a cause for concern.

Overall, it is always important to follow your college's computer use guidelines and to use discretion when accessing the internet or using personal devices on their network. However, in this case, it does not seem like using a Live-CD like Knoppix would be considered a violation of those guidelines.

1. What is a Live-CD and how does it work?

A Live-CD is a bootable CD or DVD that contains an operating system (OS) which can be run directly from the CD without the need for installation. It works by loading the OS directly into the computer's memory, allowing the user to use the OS and its features without affecting the existing operating system on the computer.

2. What are the benefits of using a Live-CD?

There are several benefits to using a Live-CD, including the ability to test out a new OS without committing to a full installation, the ability to rescue data from a corrupted or infected computer, and the ability to use a computer without a hard drive or with a malfunctioning one.

3. Are Live-CD's allowed by all policies and regulations?

It depends on the specific policies and regulations in place. In general, Live-CD's are allowed as long as they do not violate any software licensing agreements or copyright laws. However, some workplaces or institutions may have strict policies against the use of external software on their computers, so it is important to check with the appropriate authorities before using a Live-CD.

4. Can a Live-CD be used to bypass security measures on a computer?

In most cases, no. Live-CD's are typically read-only, meaning they cannot be modified or used to install software on the computer's hard drive. However, some advanced users may be able to use a Live-CD to access and modify certain files on a computer's hard drive, so it is important to use caution and only use Live-CD's on trusted computers.

5. How can I create my own Live-CD?

There are several ways to create a Live-CD, but the most common method is to use a specialized software tool, such as Rufus or Unetbootin, to create a bootable CD or USB drive. You will also need to have an ISO image of the desired OS. Instructions for creating a Live-CD can vary depending on the specific software and OS being used, so it is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by the software or consult online tutorials for more details.