Exploring the Iron Rusting Reaction with KMnO4

In summary, permanganate is not involved in the process of rusting iron. The product depends on the presence of water and hydrochloric acid.
tanya234
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure what would happen in the following reaction (it has something to do with the rusting of iron):

Fe (s) + KMnO4 (aq) ----> ?

KMnO4 is potassium permanganate and I know it is a very strong oxidizer. So I am assuming one of the products may be Fe2O3, which is rust? :confused:

- Tanya

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello,

I am afraid permanganate has nothing to do with rusting; it is indeed an oxidizer, but is not involved in this very process. The oxidant in rusting of iron is elemental oxygen, and the product is iron(III)hydroxide, Fe(OH)3.

4/Fe ---> Fe3+ + 3e-
3/O2 + 4e----> 2O2-
--------------------------
4Fe+3O2 ---> 4Fe3+ + 6O2- (which means that two moles of Fe2O3 is produced)

This reaction takes place in a very fine aqueous layer on iron; so water molecules are also involved:

Fe2O3 + 3H2O ---> 2Fe(OH)3

So, we may conclude that rust contains both iron(III)hydroxide and iron(III)oxide; the product depends of the relative humidity and water content present on iron.

Regards
chem_tr

What about Fe and permanganate?

By the way, you might wonder what would be the result of reaction between solid iron and potassium permanganate. The product totally depends on which acid (or base) is used as an auxilary to drive this redox process faster.

Let me give some examples about this:

a) Acidic media (Mn2+; five-electron reduction)

5Fe ---> 5Fe3+ + 15e-
3MnO4- + 15e- + 24H+ ---> 3Mn2+ + 12H2O

5Fe + 3MnO4- + 24H+ ---> 5Fe3+ + 3Mn2+ + 12H2O

When you carry out this reaction in the presence of hydrochloric acid, you will obtain this:

5Fe + 3KMnO4 + 24HCl ---> 5FeCl3 + 3MnCl2 + 3KCl + 12H2O

b) Excessive alkaline media (oxidative alkaline fusion; MnO42-; one electron reduction)

I have found that this reaction is responsible for iron's oxidation and production of manganate:

Fe + 3MnO4- + 3OH- ---> Fe(OH)3 + 3MnO42-

However, writing a full-balanced equation is excessively difficult in this case. It is possible that, a mixture of potassium and sodium manganates (if sodium hydroxide is used) and even iron(III)manganate is expected to occur.

c) Nearly neutral media (mild acidic, MnO2; mild basic, MnO(OH)2): 3 electron-reduction

There are two alternative reactions here:

Fe + MnO4- + 2H2O ---> Fe3+ + MnO2 + 4OH-

Fe + MnO4- + 2H2O ---> Fe3+ + MnO(OH)2 + O2-

Regards
chem_tr

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of exploring the iron rusting reaction with KMnO4?

The purpose of this exploration is to investigate the chemical reaction between iron and potassium permanganate (KMnO4) and understand how the presence of KMnO4 affects the rate of rusting in iron. This can provide valuable insights into the mechanisms of rust formation and potential ways to prevent it.

2. How does the presence of KMnO4 affect the rusting of iron?

KMnO4 acts as an oxidizing agent, meaning it increases the rate of oxidation in iron. This results in a faster rusting process compared to iron without KMnO4 present. This is because KMnO4 promotes the transfer of electrons from iron to oxygen, which is essential for rust formation.

3. What are the potential applications of this research?

The findings from this exploration can have practical applications in industries that use iron, such as construction and manufacturing. It can also contribute to the development of more effective rust prevention methods, which can extend the lifespan of iron-based products and structures.

4. What are the experimental procedures for exploring the iron rusting reaction with KMnO4?

The experiment typically involves immersing iron samples in solutions containing varying concentrations of KMnO4, and observing the rate of rust formation over time. Other factors, such as temperature and pH, may also be controlled to determine their effects on the reaction.

5. What are the potential limitations of this exploration?

One limitation is that the results may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios, as the experiment is conducted in a controlled laboratory setting. Additionally, the presence of other substances, such as impurities in the iron or other chemicals in the environment, may affect the reaction and skew the results.