How to solve this trig equation in radians 2sin^2(x) + sin(x) - 1=0

In summary, the conversation is about a review sheet for math that contains questions the speaker is having trouble with. One of the questions asks to solve for all values of theta in radians from 0 to 2pi. The speaker is confused and asks for help, and another person suggests using the identities sin 2theta = 2sin theta cos theta and sin^2 theta + cos^2 theta = 1. The speaker is still unsure and asks for a longer explanation. Another person suggests letting sin theta = x and solving the quadratic equation 2x^2 + x - 1 = 0. The conversation ends with the suggestion to use recon's suggestion and understand cyclovenom's point.
UrbanXrisis
I just got a review sheet in math that contain questions that I don't know how to do from last year. ONe asks to solve for all values of theta of [0,2pi] in radians: 2sin^2(theta)+sin(theta)-1=0

any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use
[tex]sin\ 2\theta = 2\ sin\ \theta\ cos\ \theta[/tex]
[tex]sin^2\ \theta + cos^2\ \theta = 1[/tex]

that confuses me more. I have no clue what the question is even asking, I think I forgot all my math. Could you give a longer explanation?

Let [tex]sin\ \theta\ = x[/tex]

Then your original equation now looks like [tex]2x^2 + x - 1 = 0[/tex].

Solve the quadratic equation. Once you do that, the rest should be easy.

UrbanXrisis said:
that confuses me more. I have no clue what the question is even asking, I think I forgot all my math. Could you give a longer explanation?

The question is asking for which angles in a 0 to 2pi interval satisfy that equation.

-Cyclovenom

forget about what i have said. use recon's suggestion and understand cyclovenom's point.

1. How do I solve a trigonometric equation in radians?

To solve a trigonometric equation in radians, you need to use algebraic techniques and the properties of trigonometric functions. You may also need to use inverse trigonometric functions and trigonometric identities.

2. What does the 2sin^2(x) in the equation represent?

The 2sin^2(x) represents the squared value of the sine function. This means that you need to multiply the sine of x by itself, and then multiply that by 2.

3. How do I use the quadratic formula to solve this equation?

The quadratic formula can be used to solve equations in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0. In this case, you need to rearrange the given equation into this form and then plug in the values for a, b, and c to find the solutions for x.

4. Do I need to check my solutions after using the quadratic formula?

Yes, it is important to check your solutions after using the quadratic formula. This is because the formula can sometimes give you extraneous solutions that do not satisfy the original equation. You can plug in the solutions to the original equation and see if they make the equation true.

5. Are there any other methods to solve this equation?

Yes, there are other methods to solve this trigonometric equation, such as factoring, using trigonometric identities, and graphing. However, the most efficient method for this equation would be to use the quadratic formula.