What is this object called? It deals with Pressure.

• Thread starter Lil_Aziz1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of pressure demonstrated by a suction cup in AP Physics. The lid, which is made of rubber, is placed on a wooden desk and the nod on top is turned, creating a vacuum and reducing pressure between the lid and the desk. This makes it difficult to pull the lid off the desk without sliding it. The correct term for this object is a suction cup.
Lil_Aziz1
Hi. When I took AP Physics last year, my teacher demonstrated the power of pressure by this object. It looked like a lid. It was rubber. You put the lid on a wooden desk, turn the nod on top of the lid, and try pulling the lid off the desk without sliding the lid. I forgot the name of this object. Does anyone know what it's called?

I was thinking about it one night and I think I have the right concept. Correct me if I'm wrong.

When you turn the nod, everything between the wooden desk and top of the lid becomes a vacuum; thus, it has no pressure. When you draw a force diagram on the lid, there is a force acting down: F= P * A (neglecting the weight of the lid). There is no force acting up because there is barely any pressure. Therefore, it is extremely difficult to pull the lid off the table.

Is that correct?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Suction cup.

What is pressure?

Pressure is the amount of force applied per unit area. It is typically measured in units of Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

What causes pressure?

Pressure is caused by the collision of molecules against a surface. The more molecules that collide with a surface, the higher the pressure will be.

How is pressure measured?

Pressure can be measured using various instruments such as barometers, manometers, and pressure gauges. These instruments typically measure the force exerted by a gas or liquid on a surface.

What are some common examples of pressure?

Some common examples of pressure include the pressure exerted by the atmosphere on the Earth's surface, the pressure in a car tire, and the pressure in a diving tank.

Why is pressure important in science?

Pressure is important in science because it is a fundamental physical quantity that is involved in many scientific processes. It is used to describe and predict the behavior of gases and liquids, and is essential in fields such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and atmospheric science.