Magnetic Forces do no work.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnetic fields and their effect on moving particles. The source provided is used to understand a mathematical explanation, but there is confusion regarding a specific step involving the dot product and cosine. Upon further examination, it appears to be a typo and the correct equation is shown to prove that the change in kinetic energy is zero.
Je m'appelle
It is known that magnetic fields do no work at a moving particle, all they can do is to change the particle's direction.

So, I've been trying to understand a step on the mathematical explanation, but I'm stuck.

I'm using this source: http://www.tutorvista.com/content/physics/physics-iv/moving-charges-magnetism/lorentz-force.php

What I don't get is the step below

[tex]m \frac{d}{dt} (v \cdot v) = m(v} \cdot \frac{d v}{dt} + \frac{d v}{dt} \cdot v) = 2m v\frac{d v}{dt}[/tex]

Shouldn't it be

[tex]2m v \cdot \frac{d v}{dt} = 2m v \frac{d v}{dt} cos \theta[/tex]

What happened to the cosine? The dot product simply disappeared, it's like he considered [tex]cos \theta = 1 [/tex], but as far as I understood it, the cosine is actually zero and not one.

OBS: 'v' is a vector.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
your latex image seems to be invalid and I can't view it

The legend said:
your latex image seems to be invalid and I can't view it

I've fixed it already, somehow the vector function in the latex wasn't working.

It looks like a typo to me. He does it correctly the first time when he says

[tex] m\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}\cdot \vec{v}=\frac{m}{2}\frac{d}{dt}(\vec{v} \cdot \vec{v})=0 [/tex]

Now [itex] \vec{v} \cdot \vec{v}=v^2 [/itex] so it follows that the change in kinetic energy is zero.

I can provide some clarification on this step. The dot product is used to calculate the work done by a force, which is defined as the product of the force and the displacement in the direction of the force. In this case, we are dealing with a magnetic force, which does not do any work. Therefore, the dot product is not necessary in this step and can be omitted.

In other words, the dot product is not relevant in this case because the magnetic force does not contribute to the work done on the particle. It only changes the direction of the particle's motion. So, in this step, we are simply calculating the rate of change of the particle's velocity, which is equal to the acceleration.

I hope this helps to clarify the confusion. Keep in mind that in physics, different mathematical approaches can be used to arrive at the same result. The important thing is to understand the underlying concepts and principles.

1. What is meant by the concept of "magnetic forces do no work"?

The concept of "magnetic forces do no work" refers to the fact that magnetic forces do not directly transfer energy to or from an object. This means that the work done by a magnetic force on an object is always zero, regardless of the distance or displacement of the object.

2. How is this concept different from other types of forces?

This concept is different from other types of forces, such as gravitational or frictional forces, which can transfer energy and do work on objects. For example, when an object is lifted against gravity, work is done by the force of gravity.

3. Why do magnetic forces do no work?

Magnetic forces do no work because they do not directly cause a displacement in the object they are acting on. Instead, magnetic forces can only change the direction of an object's motion, but not its speed or position.

4. Are there any real-life applications of this concept?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of the concept of "magnetic forces do no work." For example, magnetic levitation trains use magnetic forces to suspend and propel the train without any physical contact with the track, which demonstrates the lack of work being done by the magnetic forces.

5. How does this concept relate to the conservation of energy?

This concept is closely related to the conservation of energy, as it is a fundamental principle that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. Since magnetic forces do no work, they do not transfer energy to or from an object, thus following the principle of conservation of energy.