Calculating Moment, kind of confused

In summary, the problem was calculating the moment about the point A where there is a force of 200 N. The answer was negative, but when the sign of the moment was looked at, it was found to be positive because they put the negative sign within the parentheses.
blue996

Homework Statement

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/371/diagramv.th.jpg

I'm supposed to determine the equivalent force-couple system at point A, but that's not actually what I'm posting about. I got the problem right except for the sign calculating the moment.

The Attempt at a Solution

Rx= -200 N - (3/5) (150 N) = -290 N
Ry= (4/5) (-150 N) + 150 N = 30 N
R = Sqrt( (-290 N)2 + (30N)2 = 291.5 N

Theta= arctan (30/-290 N) = 185.9

Here, calculating the moment, the answer should be:
=(-200 N*.13 m)-(150N)(.3 m) +(4/5)(150N)(0.15m)-(50 N*m)=-103 N*m

Now I know that 50 n*m is negative, but why is (-200N)(.13m) positive? I'm trying to think about how to apply the RHR, but I'm getting confused... I know you're supposed to rotate the position vector towards the force vector when they're placed tail to tail.
if the Force vector is <--- and the position vector (from A to the force vector is how I imagined it, I think this is where I'm going wrong) is ^ then I get my thumb pointing outward, which is CCW and thus negative. :(

So that's where I am, I'm not sure when calculating the moment if a force is either positive or negative signed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
But the moment from the 200 N force about A is negative (ccw=negative), so why are you saying it is positive? Don't look at the sign of the force when determining moments...just use clockwise or counterclockwise, using right hand rule.

The problem took the clockwise from the horizontal as the positive direction for moments, but the answer to the moment for that particular component (-200 N)(0.13m). I guess because they put the negative sign within the parenthesis instead of outside I thought it was part of the sign of the force, not related to the sign of the moment.

Ack, thanks. I guess I was just overthinking it and getting myself confused...

yes, you are right, the negative should have been outside thw parentheses, to avoid confusion. Always take the force as a positive number..as you would if the force was at an angle say perpendicular to the point about which you were summing moments. Most conventions use ccw as plus, but I always use cw as plus. In the end, it doesn't matter, as long as you are consistent.

First of all, it's great that you're asking questions and trying to understand the concept of calculating moments. Let's break down the problem and go through the steps together.

1. The first step is to determine the equivalent force-couple system at point A. This means finding the resultant force and moment at point A.

2. To find the resultant force, you correctly used the formula R = sqrt(Rx^2 + Ry^2). This gives you the magnitude of the resultant force, which is 291.5 N.

3. Next, we need to find the direction of the resultant force. This is where the theta value comes in. You correctly calculated the angle using the formula theta = arctan(Ry/Rx). However, the value you got for theta is not correct. The correct value is theta = arctan(30/290) = 5.9 degrees.

4. Now, let's move on to calculating the moment. The formula for moment is M = Fd, where F is the force and d is the perpendicular distance from the force to the point of rotation (in this case, point A).

5. The force that is causing a moment at point A is the 150 N force. To find the perpendicular distance, we need to draw a line from point A to the line of action of the force. This line should be perpendicular to the force vector.

6. Once you have drawn this line, you can see that the perpendicular distance is 0.15 m.

7. Now, let's apply the formula M = Fd. The force is 150 N and the perpendicular distance is 0.15 m. So the moment caused by this force is (150 N)(0.15 m) = 22.5 Nm.

8. We also need to consider the moment caused by the 200 N force. This force is acting at a distance of 0.13 m from point A. So the moment caused by this force is (200 N)(0.13 m) = 26 Nm.

9. Finally, we need to consider the moment caused by the 4/5(150 N) force. This force is acting at a distance of 0.3 m from point A. So the moment caused by this force is (4/5)(150 N)(0.3 m) = 36 Nm.

1. What is the definition of moment in physics?

The moment in physics refers to the turning effect produced by a force acting on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point.

2. How is moment calculated?

Moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force. This distance is also known as the lever arm or moment arm.

3. What is the unit of measurement for moment?

The unit of measurement for moment is Newton-meters (Nm) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

4. How does the direction of the force affect the moment?

The direction of the force affects the moment because it determines the direction of rotation. If the force is applied perpendicular to the lever arm, it will create a maximum moment. If the force is applied at an angle, the moment will be reduced.

5. What is the difference between moment and torque?

Moment and torque are often used interchangeably, but they have slightly different meanings. Moment refers to the turning effect produced by a force on an object, while torque specifically refers to the turning effect produced by a force on a rotating object. Torque takes into account the moment arm and the angle of rotation.