What is the Unknown Theorem Used in the Proof of Theorem 4.5?

• Thread starter Noxide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    arcs
In summary, the lines tangent to the circumcircle of a triangle at its vertices cut the opposite sides in three collinear points. The theorem from which this was determined is unknown to me, and I would greatly appreciate any help in locating it, or having it stated.
Noxide
I will preface this by saying that if anyone has the following book: Euclidean Geometry and Transformations written by Clayton W. Dodge, then my question concerns a theorem used but unstated in the proof of Theorem 4.5.

Theorem 4.5
The lines tangent to the circumcircle of a triangle at its vertices cut the opposite sides in three collinear points.

The portion of the proof for which I am having a little trouble is the following:
Let the tangent to the circumcircle at A (triangle vertices are named counterclockwise) meet line BC at L. Then angle BAL is congruent to angle C since each angle is measured by half of the arc AB. Also we have that angle LAC = 180 - angle ABC, since these angles are measured by halves of the two opposite arcs AC...

Specifically my trouble lies with: angle LAC = 180 - angle ABC, since these angles are measured by halves of the two opposite arcs AC.

The theorem from which this was determined is unknown to me, and I would greatly appreciate any help in locating it, or having it stated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Noxide! :wink:

It's using the theorem that if A B and C are on a circle with centre O, then angle ACB is either half of angle AOB, or is 180° minus that. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
(just got up :zzz: …)

Hint: draw the diameter AOD. :wink:

Hmm. I don't think I know how to get that angle BAL is congruent to angle C afterall...

(just got up :zzz: …)

Have you drawn diameter AOD?

What is angle ADC equal to? :smile:

1. What are halves of two opposite arcs?

Halves of two opposite arcs refer to two arcs that are equal in measure and are on opposite sides of a circle's diameter.

2. How can you identify halves of two opposite arcs?

To identify halves of two opposite arcs, you can look for arcs that are on opposite sides of a circle's diameter and have equal measures.

3. What is the relationship between halves of two opposite arcs and central angles?

The measure of a central angle in a circle is equal to the measure of the arc it intercepts. This means that the measure of a central angle formed by halves of two opposite arcs will be equal to half the measure of the circle's circumference.

4. What is the measure of halves of two opposite arcs in a semicircle?

In a semicircle, the measure of each half of the opposite arcs is equal to half the measure of the circle's circumference, which is also equal to 180 degrees.

5. How can halves of two opposite arcs be used in geometry problems?

Halves of two opposite arcs can be used to find the measure of a central angle, to prove that two angles are equal, or to solve problems related to circles and their properties.