How does a metal detector work ?

In summary, a metal detector works by detecting changes in the frequency of an oscillator due to the presence of metal nearby.
Fairytales
Hey there,

I have problems trying to understand how a metal detector works. I don't understand why the inductance of a coil changes when a metal is approaching. Can someone explain that to me ? :redface:

Thanks a lot for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a coil inside a metal detector which emits EM-waves. If there's a metal nearby, the EM-waves induce currents inside that metal. Because currents are a source of magnetism, an EM wave will also be emitted by the metal. Both waves are detected by a second coil inside the metal detector.

If there's no metal near the detector, the measured field is just the detector's field. If there's a metal nearby, the extra magnetic field will be measured.

If something's still not clear, please say so. I mainly just copied the article on this subject on wikipedia.

When you say EM-waves i think of photons , The coil inside the metal detector creates a changing magnetic field , and if this B field is near another conductor it will cause electrons to flow in the material and create its own B field that will oppose the one in the detector "lenz's law". Just like dropping a magnet down a copper pipe .

For those extra high-tech metal detectors that tell you how far down something is, does that mean that the actual detector just measures how far down it sends those EM signals?

The <u>way</u> basic metal detector is just a coil of wire with an air core. The coil has a specific inductance and is used as a resonant component in an LC oscillator, so, when sitting all alone by itself, the oscillator has some specific frequency. When a piece of metal (especially a magnetic metal like iron) is brought near the loop it's inductance changes -- the how of this is beyond my paltry grasp of basic physics, sorry, maybe see the above quoted Lenz's Law -- and thus the oscillator's frequency changes. The rest of the exercise is in detecting the frequency change.

For higher sensitivity one can use multiple loops and all the rest of modern electronics as described in the other posts here...

1. How does a metal detector detect metal?

A metal detector works by emitting an electromagnetic field from its coil. When the coil comes near a metal object, it creates an opposing magnetic field, which the detector picks up and alerts the user with a beep or visual display.

2. What types of metals can a metal detector detect?

Metal detectors can detect a wide range of metals, including iron, steel, copper, gold, silver, and more. However, the size and composition of the metal can affect the detector's ability to detect it.

3. How deep can a metal detector detect?

The depth at which a metal detector can detect metal depends on various factors, such as the size and composition of the metal, the type of soil, and the sensitivity of the detector. Generally, metal detectors can detect objects buried up to 12-18 inches deep.

4. Can a metal detector differentiate between different types of metals?

Some metal detectors have the ability to differentiate between different types of metals based on their conductivity. For example, gold has a different conductivity than iron, and the detector can be set to ignore certain types of metals.

5. Are there any limitations to using a metal detector?

While metal detectors can be useful tools, they do have some limitations. They cannot detect non-metallic objects, such as plastic or wood, and their effectiveness can be affected by factors such as mineralization in the soil or interference from other electronic devices.