Proportional Sides and Equal Angles: Exploring Similar Triangles in Geometry

• Thread starter dekoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of proving parallel lines and similar triangles in geometry. The question is raised about the relationship between proportional sides and equal angles in triangles. The response is that if two triangles have sides in proportion, then they are "similar" and have the same angles. The conversation ends with a humorous remark about forgetting everything after the test.
dekoi
Oddly enough, i forget my geometry laws two days before the test.

If ABCD is a parallelogram where x and y are on the midpoints of AD and BC. Prove that BX and DY are parallel. I understand one would have to prove that corresponding angles are equal. thus, AHX would equal CMY, and ADM would equal BHC.

My question is: if a large triangle and a smaller triangle have proportional sides (e.g. 1/2), would the angles be proven equal?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey, you're not supposed to forget until AFTER the test!

Yes, if two triangles have sides in proportion, then they are "similar" triangles and have the same angles.

Thank you HallsofIvy for reminding me about the similar triangles, as well as to forget everything i know after the test. :)

1. What is simple geometry?

Simple geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of basic shapes, such as points, lines, angles, and planes. It involves understanding their properties and relationships, as well as using formulas and equations to solve problems involving these shapes.

2. What are the basic shapes in simple geometry?

The basic shapes in simple geometry include points, lines, angles, triangles, quadrilaterals, circles, and polygons. These shapes can be further classified into two-dimensional (2D) or three-dimensional (3D) shapes.

3. How is simple geometry used in real life?

Simple geometry has numerous practical applications in our daily lives, such as in construction, architecture, engineering, design, and navigation. It helps us understand and analyze the shapes and structures around us, and allows us to make accurate measurements and calculations.

4. What are the key principles of simple geometry?

The key principles of simple geometry include points, lines, angles, and shapes. These principles are used to define and describe the characteristics of geometric figures, and to solve problems involving these figures using mathematical equations and formulas.

5. What are some common formulas used in simple geometry?

Some common formulas used in simple geometry include the Pythagorean theorem, which relates the sides of a right triangle, and the formulas for calculating the perimeter, area, and volume of various shapes. Other important formulas include those for finding the length of a line segment, the measure of an angle, and the distance between two points.