Showing a matrix is diagonalizable and calculating powers

• Thread starter Boom101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the matrix A is diagonalizable with eigenvalues 2, 3, and -1. The eigenvectors corresponding to these eigenvalues are [0 -1 2], [2 -1 1], and [-1 0 1]. To construct the diagonal matrix D, these eigenvectors should be arranged as columns in the order 2, 3, -1. To calculate A^2 and A^3, we can use the formula A^n = PD^nP^-1, where P is the invertible matrix constructed from the eigenvectors and D is the diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues on the diagonal.
Boom101

Homework Statement

Consider the matrix A =
| 7 16 8|
|-1 0 -1|
|-2 -10 -3|

Show that A is diagonalizable. Find an invertible matrix P and diagonal matrix D and use the obtained result in order to calculate A^2 and A^3

Homework Equations

Determinant equation I suppose.
D is the diagonal matrix, like identity matrix but constructed from the eigenvalues. The order of the eigenvalues must match the columns in P precisely.

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright well I've done a huge chunk of this problem already. I found the eigenvalues to be 2, 3, and -1. Then I find my eigenvectors, and I come up with 2 per eigenvalue.

For λ = 2 I get [-2 1 0] and [-1 0 1]
For λ = 3 I get [-3 1 0] and [-1 0 1]
For λ = 1 I get [1 1 0] and [0 1 1]

So now I have to construct P from these. This is where I'm confused. Which eigenvectors from which eigenvalues do I use? I've tried several combinations to make AP = PD and I just can't do it. Everything comes out wrong. I suppose there's just something I'm not understanding. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Boom101 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the matrix A =
| 7 16 8|
|-1 0 -1|
|-2 -10 -3|

Show that A is diagonalizable. Find an invertible matrix P and diagonal matrix D and use the obtained result in order to calculate A^2 and A^3

Homework Equations

D is the diagonal matrix, like identity matrix but constructed from the eigenvalues. The order of the eigenvalues must match the columns in P precisely.

Alright well I've done a huge chunk of this problem already. I found the eigenvalues to be 2, 3, and -1. Then I find my eigenvectors, and I come up with 2 per eigenvalue.

So now I have to construct P from these. This is where I'm confused. Which eigenvectors from which eigenvalues do I use? I've tried several combinations to make AP = PD and I just can't do it. Everything comes out wrong. I suppose there's just something I'm not understanding. Please help.
Since you have a 3 x 3 matrix and found three eigenvalues, you should not have two eigenvectors per eigenvalue, so you have definitely done something wrong.

Once you have that squared away, it's a good idea to check your eigenvalues and eigenvectors. If λ is an eigenvalue, and x is an eigenvector associated with that eigenvalue, it should be true that Ax = λx. If not, you did something wrong.

If you end up with three eigenvectors, form a matrix P with those eigenvectors as columns. It doesn't matter what order you put them in, but the order will determine which eigenvalue goes where in your diagonal matrix D.

Boom101 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the matrix A =
| 7 16 8|
|-1 0 -1|
|-2 -10 -3|

Homework Equations

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 7 & 16 & 8 \\ -1 & 0 & -1 \\-2 & -10 & -3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}-2 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}2 \\ 2 \\ -6\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
so this is NOT an eigenvector.

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 7 & 16 & 8 \\ -1 & 0 & -1 \\-2 & -10 & -3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}-1 \\ 0 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
so this is and eigenvector but with eigenvalue -1, not 2.

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 7 & 16 & 8 \\ -1 & 0 & -1 \\-2 & -10 & -3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}-3 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-5 \\ 3 \\ -4\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
so this is not an eigenvector.

[-1 0 1] is the same vector as in the second case. It is an eigenvector with eigenvalue -1, not 3.

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 7 & 16 & 8 \\ -1 & 0 & -1 \\-2 & -10 & -3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 0\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}23 \\ -1 \\ -12\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]\begin{bmatrix} 7 & 16 & 8 \\ -1 & 0 & -1 \\-2 & -10 & -3\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 1\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}24 \\ -1 \\ -13\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:

I did the work again and found my mistake. The eigenvectors are

[0 -1 2], [2 -1 1], [-1 0 1]

1. How do you determine if a matrix is diagonalizable?

To determine if a matrix is diagonalizable, you need to find its eigenvalues and eigenvectors. If the matrix has n distinct eigenvalues, and each eigenvalue has n linearly independent eigenvectors, then the matrix is diagonalizable.

2. What is the process for showing that a matrix is diagonalizable?

The process for showing that a matrix is diagonalizable involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, and then using them to construct a diagonal matrix that is similar to the original matrix. This can be done by using the diagonalization formula, which involves finding the inverse of the matrix of eigenvectors and multiplying it by the original matrix.

3. Can a non-square matrix be diagonalizable?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be diagonalizable because it does not have enough eigenvalues and eigenvectors to form a diagonal matrix.

4. How do you calculate the powers of a diagonalizable matrix?

If a matrix is diagonalizable, then it can be written as A = PDP^-1, where D is a diagonal matrix and P is the matrix of eigenvectors. To calculate the powers of A, you simply raise the diagonal matrix D to the desired power, and then multiply it by the matrix P and its inverse.

5. Is there a shortcut for calculating the powers of a diagonalizable matrix?

Yes, there is a shortcut for calculating the powers of a diagonalizable matrix. If A = PDP^-1, then An = P(D^n)P^-1. This can save time and effort compared to manually calculating the powers of A.