Compiling Fortran 77 for Windows

In summary, the G95 compiler is a way to easily compile fortran 77 code for a Windows machine. It can be downloaded from the G95 website or from the Silverfrost website. The Silverfrost FTN77 compiler may also work, but only on older versions of Windows.
RandomGuy88
Can someone suggest a way to easily compile fortran 77 code so it will run on a Windows machine. For my research I need to use a computer code that was written by former students at my school several years ago in fortran. I have very little experience with this sort of thing but I really only need the code to run. I have all of the source code but I am not sure what to do with any of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org

1. What is Fortran 77 and why is it commonly used for scientific computing?

Fortran 77 is a programming language designed specifically for scientific and engineering applications. It is commonly used for its efficient handling of numerical computations and its ability to easily integrate with other scientific libraries and tools.

2. How do I install a Fortran 77 compiler on Windows?

To compile Fortran 77 on Windows, you will need to download and install a compiler such as GNU Fortran (gfortran) or Intel Fortran Compiler. These compilers can be easily installed by following the instructions on their respective websites.

3. Can I use a text editor to write Fortran 77 code on Windows?

Yes, you can use any text editor to write Fortran 77 code on Windows. However, it is recommended to use a specialized IDE (integrated development environment) such as Code::Blocks or Visual Studio for easier debugging and project management.

4. How do I compile and run a Fortran 77 program on Windows?

The steps to compile and run a Fortran 77 program on Windows may vary depending on the compiler you are using. In general, you will need to create a project or makefile, add your source code files, and then compile and run the program using the appropriate commands or buttons in your IDE.

5. Are there any compatibility issues when compiling Fortran 77 on different versions of Windows?

In general, Fortran 77 code should be compatible across different versions of Windows as long as the same compiler is used. However, there may be minor differences in the compilation process or library compatibility, so it is recommended to test the code on each version of Windows to ensure proper functionality.