Support PF: Buy your textbooks here

In summary, Physics Forums has opened an affiliate account with Amazon.com. This will allow them to receive 5-7% of any purchase you make. This is a nice way to help out and save money on your school textbooks.
Physics Forums has opened an affiliate account with Amazon.com.

5-7% of any purchase you make is sent to Physics Forums. Think about buying your school textbooks and other materials this way.

Just click this link and the tracking system will register that PF sent you. Easy! Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Love
Likes MrPhD9, WillBillDillPickle, Brandon Blackwater and 31 others
Physics news on Phys.org
DAMMIT. I just bought like $600 worth of textbooks and stuff right before I saw this post. :( OMG, so unfortunate.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Likes Sword7, JohnsonEJennifer, AbyssalPloy and 5 others

Does it work if you then click through to the UK (or other non-US) site?

Likes Hanzoey

Caramon said:
DAMMIT. I just bought like $600 worth of textbooks and stuff right before I saw this post. :( OMFG, so unfortunate.

ah well, next time, thanks anyway :)

cristo said:
Does it work if you then click through to the UK (or other non-US) site?

Yes it should as long as you click here first.

Likes zzzL

I don't understand, why would amazon share the cost of a book with others?
Unless ofcourse they're raising the price of the books when you purchase through the link. :-D

Likes 1 person

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I don't understand, why would amazon share the cost of a book with others?
Unless ofcourse they're raising the price of the books when you purchase through the link. :-D

You are welcome to check :) Amazon figures I'm advertising for them.

Likes MarkTheQuark and SammyS

Amazon needs advertisement?!

I believe that everyone that uses the web, knows:
Amazon,Google, Facebook.

Likes Demystifier

MathematicalPhysicist said:
Amazon needs advertisement?!

I believe that everyone that uses the web, knows:
Amazon,Google, Facebook.

When you are a publicly traded company, every little bit helps make those earnings look better :)

Likes cancerman1, SammyS, Hoophy and 2 others
Next semester fall 2011 I'll buy my books through this (about 400 dollars).

Likes SammyS
How nice. I just bought a book a few days ago by amazon though for the second time in 4 years. However I'm planning to buy a few more books if I get no problem with the customers of the country I live in.
Just curious about your link Greg. It redirects to Amazon.com. How could they track I've accessed amazon from PF?!

Likes CiliByMichele, Bibleman and 0pt618
Greg Bernhardt said:
Physics Forums has opened an affiliate account with Amazon.com

6% of any purchase you make is sent to Physics Forums. Think about buying your school textbooks and materials this way.

Just click this link and the tracking system will register that PF sent you. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Very cool. It applies to other stuff that we buy through Amazon too, right? I buy my jeans through Amazon!

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Very cool. It applies to other stuff that we buy through Amazon too, right? I buy my jeans through Amazon!

Yup, everything :) I think you need a new 60in 3D HDTV too right? :D

Just curious about your link Greg. It redirects to Amazon.com. How could they track I've accessed amazon from PF?!

Click the link and you'll see an ID is attached.

• Informative
Likes Not anonymous, Hoophy and fireflies
The link itself doesn't contain an ID, so there must be a cookie involved. I also noticed that if I right-click and choose to open the link in a new tab (Firefox), the ID isn't included in the URL that appears in the address bar. The obvious "workaround" is of course to just click it. It still opens in a different tab.

Fredrik said:
The link itself doesn't contain an ID, so there must be a cookie involved. I also noticed that if I right-click and choose to open the link in a new tab (Firefox), the ID isn't included in the URL that appears in the address bar. The obvious "workaround" is of course to just click it. It still opens in a different tab.

oh you scientists, always got to tinker around, ruining the fun for everyone. Just assume it's magic :) No cookies though, but javascript.

Is it just textbooks, or anything on Amazon?

Edit: Just saw the thread in Feedback - it applies to anything. Fantastic :approve:!

As a full-time lurker of physicsforums, I replaced my amazon bookmark with a bookmark of this thread. Before I leave to uni, I was going to buy EVERYTHING I needed off amazon, so prepare to receive 6% of my wage packet for the next 11 weeks (I wouldn't be too excited).

217 MeV said:
As a full-time lurker of physicsforums, I replaced my amazon bookmark with a bookmark of this thread. Before I leave to uni, I was going to buy EVERYTHING I needed off amazon, so prepare to receive 6% of my wage packet for the next 11 weeks (I wouldn't be too excited).

Fantastic! :)

Bumping thread as reminder to those students about to buy textbooks!

I would be glad to provide physics forums 6% of every purchase, but amazon.com is so perfectly lousy in packaging their books, that I rely on other book providers. Even more than that ...if packaging is OK, and delivery services did not severely damage the package, when I open a package, I receive a scratched book - like it was already used, although it was advertised as NEW. And this happened quite often... One in every two books are returned by default. Well, at least I have bad experiences with amazon. I don't know for others.. I stopped ordering from them, as I really don't have time to be another Post office, sending books back over and over again... Is there some other online book shop, that can offer physics forums 6%. I'd buy from them, right away (NEW books of course).

discoversci said:
Is there some other online book shop, that can offer physics forums 6%. I'd buy from them, right away (NEW books of course).

Sorry to hear that! Amazon has always been good to me. You can also use http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

MIT open course ware does the same thing. They get 10% from amazon but they are MIT.

rppearso said:
MIT open course ware does the same thing. They get 10% from amazon but they are MIT.

MIT kills kittens, buy from PF :D

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz, rude man and sysprog
Do you have to enter Amazon from the provided link every time you purchase or is it a permanent save?

Curtis15 said:
Do you have to enter Amazon from the provided link every time you purchase or is it a permanent save?

You must use the link every time you would normally visit amazon (and make a purchase).

I wish I would have noticed this sooner! I just spent about $400 on books a couple weeks ago! Oh well, I'll remember this in the future. I'll have thousands of dollars worth of textbooks left to buy before I finish college.

Oh cool I didn't even see this here before. I'll make sure to keep it in mind when I get a list of recommends books.

The new semester will be coming up soon! Good luck on your finals and don't forget to buy your next semester books using this opportunity!

Greg:

A couple of years ago Cristo asked if the link would still work if redirected to Amazon.co.uk, and you said that it should. I see there is a link from Amazon.co.uk now. I am in Canada. If I click on the Amazon.com link and redirect to Amazon.ca, is PF going to get the 6%? If so, great! If not, I will just get my textbooks from Chapters.

Before I buy my general chemistry book from amazon. Does the seller have to be. Sold by amazon or can it be any other joe smoe for physics forum to receive 6 percent?