Constant velocity down a slope

In summary, the cart will not move at a constant velocity down a slope if there is no brake acting on the cart.
phy124

Homework Statement

Would constant velocity down a slope be achieved by a cart, by having the frictional force equal to that of Wsinθ (Where W is the weight force and θ is the angle between the slope and the horizontal).

Homework Equations

/

The Attempt at a Solution

For example if θ was equal to 15 and W was equal to 19.

Then to achieve a constant velocity the frictional force would need to equal approximately 4.92 N.

Or am I going in the wrong direction with this?

Any help is appreciated and please excuse any ambiguity within this post.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi phy124! welcome to pf! :smile:
phy124 said:
Would constant velocity down a slope be achieved by a cart, by having the frictional force equal to that of Wsinθ (Where W is the weight force and θ is the angle between the slope and the horizontal).

if the brakes are on, yes …

good ol' Newton's second law in that direction means that ∑F = 0, so friction = Wsinθ …

what is worrying you about that? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi phy124! welcome to pf! :smile:
Thank you tiny tim.
tiny-tim said:
if the brakes are on, yes …

good ol' Newton's second law in that direction means that ∑F = 0, so friction = Wsinθ …

what is worrying you about that? :wink:

Yes well here lies the problem, the cart doesn't have brakes and I'm pretty sure that friction acts in the opposite direction to that of the way which the wheels are moving, so it is in the same direction as the carts movement and thus making Fr = Wsinθ wrong?

hi phy124! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
phy124 said:
… the cart doesn't have brakes and I'm pretty sure that friction acts in the opposite direction to that of the way which the wheels are moving, so it is in the same direction as the carts movement and thus making Fr = Wsinθ wrong?

ah, good point :smile:

yes, if there's wheels and no brakes, then the friction with the ground is irrelevant (there is no work done ) …

the only thing slowing the cart is friction in the bearings (between the wheel and the axle), and air resistance …

usually not enough to overcome gravity and keep a constant velocity! :wink:

(actually you're wrong about the direction of friction from the ground … for driving or braking wheels, attached to the engine, the friction is in the same direction as the acceleration or braking, but for non-driving non-braking wheels, surprisingly it's in the opposite direction! :rolleyes:)

Hi,
The cart is given three forces: gravity(W), support force(N) and frictional resisntance(F). If the cart is moving with constant velocity along the slope, the force along the slope should be zero, which means Wsinθ = F. As for dynamic frictional resistance, we have the equation F= Nμ, where μ is friction coefficient. Another equation we have is N = Wcosθ. So the final equation to satify your requirement is tanθ = μ. Without information about the friction coefficient, we could get the answer.

welcome to pf!

hi 9une! welcome to pf! :smile:
9une said:
… So the final equation to satify your requirement is tanθ = μ.

no, as phy124 points out, µ is irrelevant if the cart has wheels and no brakes :wink:

no, as phy124 points out, µ is irrelevant if the cart has wheels and no brakes :wink:[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, µ is decided by wheels and brakes. How could we say µ is irrelevant?

9une said:
In my opinion, µ is decided by wheels and brakes. How could we say µ is irrelevant?

wake up! :zzz: have some coffee! :smile:
phy124 said:
… the cart doesn't have brakes …

:wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi phy124! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

ah, good point :smile:

yes, if there's wheels and no brakes, then the friction with the ground is irrelevant (there is no work done ) …

the only thing slowing the cart is friction in the bearings (between the wheel and the axle), and air resistance …

usually not enough to overcome gravity and keep a constant velocity! :wink:

(actually you're wrong about the direction of friction from the ground … for driving or braking wheels, attached to the engine, the friction is in the same direction as the acceleration or braking, but for non-driving non-braking wheels, surprisingly it's in the opposite direction! :rolleyes:)
Ah I see, thank you for your insight, you were very helpful. I'll be sure to come back here if I have any problems in the future ;)

1. What is constant velocity down a slope?

Constant velocity down a slope refers to an object moving down a slope at a steady speed without any change in direction.

2. How is constant velocity down a slope calculated?

The formula for calculating constant velocity down a slope is velocity (v) = distance (d) / time (t).

3. Does an object always have a constant velocity down a slope?

No, an object may have a varying velocity down a slope if there are external forces acting on it, such as friction or air resistance.

4. What factors affect an object's constant velocity down a slope?

The factors that affect an object's constant velocity down a slope include the angle of the slope, the mass of the object, and the presence of external forces like friction or air resistance.

5. What is the difference between constant velocity down a slope and constant acceleration down a slope?

Constant velocity down a slope means the object is moving at a steady speed, while constant acceleration down a slope means the object is changing its speed at a constant rate.