Probability of a random number - seems impossible

In summary, the probability of getting a specific number a kazillion times is not the same as the probability of getting an even distribution of all numbers. This is because there is only one way to get a specific number, while there are many ways to get an even distribution. This is known as the law of large numbers. Therefore, it is not guaranteed that after a kazillion numbers, the average will be exactly 5, as the numbers are random and can be distributed in many different ways.
raspberryh
Hi guys,

I have a question re: random numbers and probability. If I have a random number generator that generates a number between 1 and 10, and say I generate a kazillion of these numbers, then doesn't each number have the same probability of showing up? So then, after a kazillion numbers, I could take the average of all these random numbers I've generated and the average should be 5.

However, these numbers are random. Which means all this stuff just goes out the window basically - right? I mean, the probability that I would get all 9s a kazillion times should be the same as the probability that I get an even distribution of all numbers - right?

And if this is true, then that means if I have a 6-sided die, then the probability that I get the same side every time a kazillion times in a row should be the same as the probability that I can have an even distribution. Because it is random, and you never know with random.

And I know you might say that if we wait until we generate an infinity amount of random numbers, THEN we would have even distribution... however, isn't it possible that you could get 9s infinity times in a row? It must be, because it is random!

Please help. My world is falling apart.

Physics news on Phys.org
However, these numbers are random. Which means all this stuff just goes out the window basically - right? I mean, the probability that I would get all 9s a kazillion times should be the same as the probability that I get an even distribution of all numbers - right?
Wrong. There is only one way to get all 9s, but there are many ways to get a set of numbers whose average is approximately 5 (law of large numbers).

Mathman is right,getting a kazillion 9s is not equiprobable to getting an even distribution,i.e it can only happen in 1 way while the numbers can be evenly distributed a number of different ways e.g. the probability of 6000 6s in 6000 throws of a die is not even close to being equal to the probability of 1000 1s,2s,3s,4s,5s and 6s.

1. What does it mean for a number to be "random"?

The term "random" refers to a number or event that occurs without any predictable pattern or influence. In the case of a random number, it is one that is generated by a process that is not biased or influenced by any external factors.

2. How is the probability of a random number calculated?

The probability of a random number is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you want to know the probability of rolling a 6 on a standard six-sided die, the calculation would be 1 (desired outcome) divided by 6 (total possible outcomes), resulting in a probability of 1/6 or approximately 16.7%.

3. Can a random number be truly impossible?

No, a truly random number cannot be impossible. In a truly random process, every outcome has a non-zero probability of occurring, no matter how unlikely it may seem. However, in a practical sense, certain numbers may have such a low probability of occurring that they may be deemed "impossible" for all practical purposes.

4. Why does the probability of a random number seem impossible?

The probability of a random number may seem impossible when considering a small sample size or a specific outcome that has a very low probability of occurring. However, as the sample size increases, the probability of that outcome will become more likely to occur.

5. How does the probability of a random number relate to real-world situations?

The concept of probability and random numbers has numerous applications in the real world, such as in gambling, insurance, and scientific research. Understanding the probability of certain outcomes can help individuals make informed decisions and assess risk in various situations.