Linear attenuation coefficient.

In summary, the attenuation coefficient is called linear because it is represented by the coefficient "µ" in the equation I(x)=Ioexp[-µx], which describes a linear trend when plotted on a logarithmic scale. This coefficient quantifies the absorption of particles by a material, making it an important factor in physics. However, the equation itself may not appear linear at first glance. Its name may have originated from a misunderstanding by a student and is one of many misnamed concepts in math and physics. Taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation reveals its linear nature, represented by the equation y=mx+b.
nucerl
Why do we call the attenuation coefficient LINEAR?

I(x)=Ioexp[-µx]

why µ is called linear?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stop me when you're satisfied.

It's not μ2. Like, if we looked at it on a Log plot.

Last edited by a moderator:
nucerl said:
Why do we call the attenuation coefficient LINEAR?

I(x)=Ioexp[-µx]

why µ is called linear?

Perhaps it's bit confusing because the equation in which it's embedded is not a linear equation :smile: The linear bit comes in when we consider that it's 'x' that is the linear distance involved -- the µ is just a coefficient. The equation provides the value of I (presumably an intensity here) with respect to a linear change in the distance x.

That's true, something like "exp[x]" is not linear, but think of the logarithmic plot. When we plot this function by taking a logarithmic plot, we see that we get a linear trend. That is, the more particles we send at our attenuator, the more are absorbed. This is characterized by a coefficient (that "mu" looking guy right there) and this trend is linear. It's quite significant to find constants and linear trends in physics. It means we have quantities that describe the material.

I, on first glance in a lab class, would think that a linear trend wouldn't be had so quickly. Like, maybe it would do some sort of decay even if we plotted it on a logarithmic scale. So, I guess some other naive student at some point thought the same thing and started calling it linear. Unfortunately, lots of things in math and physics are misnamed. Take for example the "principal value of an integral." I mean, "principal" isn't even spelled correctly for the context.

More on that logarithmic plot: just take the logarithm of both sides and you'll get it right away. It looks like y=mx+b.

blather said:
That's true, something like "exp[x]" is not linear, but think of the logarithmic plot. When we plot this function by taking a logarithmic plot, we see that we get a linear trend. That is, the more particles we send at our attenuator, the more are absorbed. This is characterized by a coefficient (that "mu" looking guy right there) and this trend is linear. It's quite significant to find constants and linear trends in physics. It means we have quantities that describe the material.

I, on first glance in a lab class, would think that a linear trend wouldn't be had so quickly. Like, maybe it would do some sort of decay even if we plotted it on a logarithmic scale. So, I guess some other naive student at some point thought the same thing and started calling it linear. Unfortunately, lots of things in math and physics are misnamed. Take for example the "principal value of an integral." I mean, "principal" isn't even spelled correctly for the context.

More on that logarithmic plot: just take the logarithm of both sides and you'll get it right away. It looks like y=mx+b.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm satisfied.

1. What is the definition of linear attenuation coefficient?

The linear attenuation coefficient is a measure of how much a material reduces the intensity of a beam of radiation as it passes through it. It takes into account both the absorption and scattering of the radiation.

2. How is the linear attenuation coefficient calculated?

The linear attenuation coefficient is calculated by dividing the natural logarithm of the initial intensity of the radiation by the distance traveled through the material and the mass attenuation coefficient of the material.

3. What factors can affect the value of the linear attenuation coefficient?

The value of the linear attenuation coefficient can be affected by the composition and density of the material, the energy of the radiation, and the distance traveled through the material.

4. Why is the linear attenuation coefficient important in radiation shielding?

The linear attenuation coefficient is important in radiation shielding because it helps determine the thickness of the shielding material needed to reduce the radiation to a safe level. It also helps in selecting the most effective shielding material for a particular type of radiation.

5. How is the linear attenuation coefficient used in medical imaging?

In medical imaging, the linear attenuation coefficient is used to determine the contrast and resolution of images produced by different types of radiation. It is also used to correct for the attenuation of the radiation as it passes through the patient's body, allowing for more accurate diagnosis and treatment planning.