How Is the Radius r Related to Quantum Number n in Bohr's Model?

In summary: That's why I've been saying that you should focus on your schoolwork first and foremost. If you're interested in these topics, you can always come back to them later when you have a stronger foundation in the math and physics concepts needed. Good luck on your exam! :smile:In summary, the conversation discusses the movement of a small particle with mass m and its potential energy given by P.E.=-1/2mk(r)^2. The equation assumes Bohr's model of quantization of angular momentum and circular orbit. The distance of the particle from the origin, r, is found to be directly proportional to n2, n, or √n depending on the given conditions. The conversation also touches on the concepts
Saitama

Homework Statement

A small particle of mass m moves in such a way that P.E.=-1/2mk(r)^2, where k is a constant and r is the distance of the particle from the origin. Assuming Bohr's model of quantization of angular momentum and circular orbit, r is directly proportional to:
(a)n2
(b)n
(c)[itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex]
(d)none of these

Homework Equations

[itex]P.E.=-\frac{KZe^2}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how should i start? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
The force is the derivative of the potential energy.
That is, the derivative of the P.E. given in the problem statement, not the one you listed as relevant equation.

I like Serena said:
That is, the P.E. given in the problem statement, not the one you listed as relevant equation.

Why i have to find the derivative of P.E. given in the problem statement, not the one in the relevant equations?
And with what respect do i have to find the derivative?

Did you get that i refer P.E. as "Potential Energy"?

Pranav-Arora said:
Why i have to find the derivative of P.E. given in the problem statement, not the one in the relevant equations?
And with what respect do i have to find the derivative?

Did you get that i refer P.E. as "Potential Energy"?

The P.E. in the relevant equations is for charges attracting each other, which is what Bohr used in his model of the atom (btw, there should be a minus sign included).

The P.E. in the problem statement is about a different system, for instance a system with a mass on a spring, or a charge inside a sphere with homogeneous charge density.
Since the problem is about this P.E., it is the one you should use.Edit: The derivative is with respect to the only variable you have, which is r.

I like Serena said:
The P.E. in the relevant equations is for charges attracting each other, which is what Bohr used in his model of the atom (btw, there should be a minus sign included).

The P.E. in the problem statement is about a different system, for instance a system with a mass on a spring, or a charge inside a sphere with homogeneous charge density.
Since the problem is about this P.E., it is the one you should use.

But how do i find the derivative?
And how do i calculate the force? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
But how do i find the derivative?
And how do i calculate the force? :confused:

You do know what a derivative is?

Start by listing the P.E. and the derivative of the P.E. with respect to r?
The latter is the force.

I like Serena said:
You do know what a derivative is?

Start by listing the P.E. and the derivative of the P.E. with respect to r?
The latter is the force.

Yes, i know what a derivative is.:smile:

[tex]\frac{d}{dr}(P.E.)=-mkr[/tex]

Am i right..?

Yes! :)

I like Serena said:
Yes! :)

But what next?

What did tiny-tim suggest?

I like Serena said:
What did tiny-tim suggest?

But i have never studied centripetal acceleration...

All right, but then you will also get into trouble with angular momentum and with quantization...

What do you know about the mechanics of circular motion?

I like Serena said:
All right, but then you will also get into trouble with angular momentum and with quantization...

What do you know about the mechanics of circular motion?

Nothing. :frown:
I haven't still reached to the circular motion.

I read circular motion on Wikipedia, i have learned about uniform circular motion.

So can you follow up on tiny-tim's suggestion?

"use centripetal acceleration to find the relation between v and r"

I like Serena said:
So can you follow up on tiny-tim's suggestion?

"use centripetal acceleration to find the relation between v and r"

Is the knowledge of uniform circular motion sufficient for centripetal acceleration?

I think i have got the answer now. :smile:
I did it like this:-
[tex]
\frac{d}{dr}(P.E.)=-mkr[/tex]
[tex]ma_c=-mkr[/tex]
[tex]-\frac{mv^2}{r}=-mkr[/tex]
[tex]v^2=kr^2[/tex]

Using Bohr's model of quantization of angular momentum,
[tex]mvr=\frac{nh}{2\pi}[/tex]
[tex]v=\frac{nh}{2\pi mr}[/tex]

Substituting this value of v in our previous equation, i get:-
[tex]
\frac{n^2h^2}{4\pi^2m^2r^2}=kr^2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{n^2h^2}{4\pi^2m^2}=kr^4[/tex]Therefore,
[tex]
r^4\propto n^2[/tex]
[tex]r^2\propto n[/tex]
[tex]r\propto\sqrt{n}[/tex]

*bump*

(:zzz: I guess you haven't seen what the time is where I live!)

Yep! :smile:

So now you know classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.
What's next?
Ready for Maxwell's equations?
Or would you rather do the Schrödinger equation?

I like Serena said:
(:zzz: I guess you haven't seen what the time is where I live!)

Yep! :smile:

So now you know classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.
What's next?
Ready for Maxwell's equations?
Or would you rather do the Schrödinger equation?

(Oh sorry, i thought you got busy. I too just had a nap. Just woke up.:zzz:)

No, i don't think i know much about quantum mechanics. There's only a small article on it in my textbook. :smile:
And Schrödinger equation is not of my level, i think this because Schrodinger equation is mentioned in my book and after that it is written that solving this equation is not in the scope of this book. Yesterday i started a thread on Schrödinger equation. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=518047
czelaya said those topics which needs to be covered before solving the Schrodinger equation. And i think, i haven't completed most of the topics stated in the reply by czelaya.

I just saw Maxwell's equations on Wikipedia. And i think it involves the knowledge of partial differentiation. I talked to my physics teacher about the partial differentiation. He said that this is not of my level. :wink:

(Btw, i think i should not learn about these today because tomorrow is my chemistry exam on mole concept and atomic structure :smile:)

Last edited:
Ah well, I didn't really think you'd want to go for those yet.
I just thought I'd give you something to aspire to. :wink:

I like Serena said:
Ah well, I didn't really think you'd want to go for those yet.
I just thought I'd give you something to aspire to. :wink:

I would learn them after i have completed with MIT lectures but i don't get time for the lectures too. :smile:

1. What is an atom?

An atom is the basic unit of matter that makes up all elements. It is composed of a nucleus, which contains protons and neutrons, surrounded by electrons in shells or energy levels.

2. What is the atomic structure of an atom?

The atomic structure of an atom refers to its composition of protons, neutrons, and electrons. The nucleus, located at the center of the atom, contains positively charged protons and neutral neutrons. Electrons orbit around the nucleus in shells or energy levels.

3. How are atoms of different elements different?

Atoms of different elements have different numbers of protons, neutrons, and electrons. This affects their atomic mass, size, and chemical properties. For example, carbon atoms have 6 protons, while oxygen atoms have 8 protons, making them different elements with distinct properties.

4. What is the significance of the atomic structure?

The atomic structure of an atom determines its physical and chemical properties. It also explains how atoms interact with each other to form molecules and compounds. Understanding atomic structure is crucial in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.

5. How do scientists study atomic structure?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study atomic structure, including spectroscopy, X-ray crystallography, and electron microscopy. These methods allow them to visualize and analyze the arrangement of atoms within a molecule or material, providing valuable insights into the properties and behavior of matter.