Galilean invariance verification (kinetic energy and momentum)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with verifying the Galilean invariance of the relationship between kinetic energy and momentum. The solution is shown to be incorrect, and the correct solution is provided, showing that the relationship does hold in both frames. The person is grateful for the explanation.
Tiddo
Hi all,

First of all, sorry for not using the template, but I think in this situation it's better to explain my problem right away:
I'm studying for a physics test, but I think I don't really understand Galilean invariance. In my textbook there is an example in which they proof that if you consider 2 frames S and S' in standard configuration that the second law of Newton is Galilean invariant by proofing that if [itex]x' = x - Vt[/itex] than [itex]F_x = F'_x[/itex], so this law holds in both frames. So far I understand this.

However, in the book there is one assignment in which they ask me to verify that the relationship between kinetic energy and momentum, [itex]E = p^2/2m[/itex], is Galilean invariant. I couldn't really figure it out by myself so I looked at the answers. The answer is as followed:
In S:

[itex]E = \frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2;[/itex] [itex]p=m\dot{x}.[/itex]

Substitute [itex]\dot{x} = p/m[/itex] in the equation for the energy:

[itex]E = \frac{1}{2}m(\frac{p}{m})^2=p^2/2m[/itex]

In S':

[itex]E'=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}'^2-\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}-V)^2=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2-m\dot{x}V^2[/itex]

[itex]p'=m\dot{x}'[/itex]

Assume the relationship holds: i.e.,

[itex]E'=\frac{p'^2}{2m}=\frac{1}{2m}(m\dot{x}-mV)^2=\frac{1}{2}(\dot{x}^2-2\dot{x}V+V^2)=\frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}-m\dot{x}V+\frac{1}{2}mV^2,[/itex]

in agreement with the Galilean transformation of the kinetic energy
Source: McComb, W. D., 1999. Dynamics and Relativity. New York: Oxford University Press Inc.

I understand all of the equations, however I just don't understand why this verifies that this relationship is Galilean invariant.

Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a problem with the computation of E' in the solutions. It should read:

[tex] E^\prime = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^{\prime})^2 =\frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}-V)^2 = \frac{1}{2}m(\dot{x}^2 - 2\dot{x}V + V^2) [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{2}m\dot{x}^2 - m\dot{x}V + \frac{1}{2}mV^2 [/tex]

You can see that this expression for E' is the same as what is obtained if you assume that E' = (p')2/2m, showing that this relation between kinetic energy and momentum does indeed hold in S' as well.

thank you sp much! I completely missed that. now it'd all clear to me:)

1. What is Galilean invariance?

Galilean invariance, also known as Galilean relativity, is a principle in physics that states that the laws of motion are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the laws of physics do not change regardless of an observer's frame of reference or their relative velocity.

2. Why is Galilean invariance important in the verification of kinetic energy and momentum?

Galilean invariance is important in the verification of kinetic energy and momentum because it ensures that these quantities are conserved in all inertial reference frames. In other words, the total kinetic energy or momentum of a system will remain the same regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

3. How is Galilean invariance verified experimentally for kinetic energy and momentum?

Galilean invariance can be verified experimentally through a variety of methods. One common method is to measure the kinetic energy and momentum of a system before and after a collision or interaction, and then compare the results in different reference frames. If the values are the same, then Galilean invariance is confirmed.

4. Are there any exceptions to Galilean invariance in the verification of kinetic energy and momentum?

While Galilean invariance holds true in most cases, there are a few exceptions where it does not apply. These exceptions occur at very high speeds or in situations involving strong gravitational fields. In these cases, the laws of motion and the conservation of energy and momentum are described by Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. How does Galilean invariance relate to the principle of conservation of energy and momentum?

Galilean invariance is closely related to the principle of conservation of energy and momentum. The conservation laws state that the total energy and momentum of a closed system remain constant, and Galilean invariance ensures that these quantities are conserved in all inertial reference frames. In other words, the laws of physics are the same for all observers, and energy and momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.