Are Men With Cats Considered Odd? Tips for Living Alone with a Feline Companion

• Thread starter FlexGunship
  • Start date
In summary, Flex is considering getting a cat, but is worried about the judgment he will receive living alone with one. He thinks that a slightly older cat from a shelter or from someone on Craigslist would be a better option.
If your cat were a chronic crier, what would you do to tame him?

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
If your cat were a chronic crier, what would you do to tame him?

http://www.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1000947_508945_A_400.jpg

No more tears, kitty.

Edit: please process the joke completely before lodging infractions against me.

Best cat ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkjbMoj0JY4

FlexGunship said:
Last night I pulled apart my server rack and re-ran all of the cables for my gaming computer, my audio work station, and related hardware. I must've had 100 cables of varying purpose and size on the floor.

She about lost her little kitty mind.

She knows she's not supposed to play with them, and she resisted for a while... a good... uh, six minutes, or so. When she went for the first swipe I snapped my fingers (something I've trained her to associate with being sprayed with water) and she sat on the computer chair for the next hour... just watching me... her head darting back and forth, eyes wide with a mix of excitement, terror, and hopeless intrigue. I gave her a treat every few minutes that she sat still in the chair and things went well.

Right now I have a 220/240VAC AB servo system on my desk - not in an enclosure or even finger safe [at first], wired just for bench-top testing in my office by me. Of course, Little Tyke decided it was time to play. I think all of the blinking lights were too much for her. :eek: But after a few corrections she decided to leave things alone. She seems to sense the seriousness of the situation through the tone of my voice, and decided to cooperate.

I made sure things were all finger-safe, but finger-safe isn't paw-safe [Paw-safe is a NEMA 1.P rating]. At least now I can take her up to the house if I need to have a HV panel open for testing. This situation is mangeable, but when I have things spread out it can get pretty dangerous down here for a kitty. And in the past I couldn't leave her up in the house alone with Big Bad Jack.

Last edited:
I read some dating advice once. It said that one of the first questions you should ask a prospective mate is "Cats or dogs?"

Yes it's weird to own a cat, just ask any cat hater. Don't expect an intelligent answer though. People who hate cats are uniformly single or double digit IQ's, have very little skin showing on their foreheads, usually have to shave between their eyebrow and are probably republican.

Um, yeah, the girls-as-pets joke really isn't funny. It strikes me as kind of sexist. But anyway, no, why would it be weird for a guy to have a cat? I would actually think it was cute if a guy had a cat.

Don't get your cat declawed if you get one, though! It's not like trimming their nails or something, it's actually cutting off the ends of their toes!

Declawing is terrible. You can buy little booties and also claw covers for cats but it's a lot easier to start cutting the nails when you first get them and give them a treat during and after but never cut too short or they will NOT FORGIVE YOU.

<h2>1. Are there any studies that suggest men with cats are considered odd?</h2><p>Yes, there have been several studies that suggest a correlation between owning a cat and being perceived as odd or eccentric. One study published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology found that participants rated men with cats as less masculine, more neurotic, and less attractive compared to men without cats.</p><h2>2. What are some tips for living alone with a feline companion?</h2><p>Some tips for living alone with a cat include establishing a routine for feeding and playtime, providing plenty of toys and scratching posts for stimulation, and keeping a clean and organized living space to prevent messes and accidents. It's also important to socialize your cat with other humans and animals to prevent them from becoming too attached to just one person.</p><h2>3. Do cats make good companions for single men?</h2><p>Yes, cats can make great companions for single men. They are independent, low maintenance, and can provide emotional support and companionship. However, it's important to consider your lifestyle and whether you have the time and resources to properly care for a cat before adopting one.</p><h2>4. Are there any benefits to owning a cat as a single man?</h2><p>Yes, there are many benefits to owning a cat as a single man. Cats can provide companionship, reduce stress and anxiety, and even lower blood pressure and decrease the risk of heart disease. They can also help create a sense of routine and responsibility, and can be a source of entertainment and joy.</p><h2>5. How can single men combat the stereotype of being "odd" for owning a cat?</h2><p>One way to combat the stereotype is by educating others about the benefits of owning a cat and the misconceptions surrounding men with cats. Additionally, being confident and unapologetic about your choice to have a feline companion can help break down stereotypes. Finally, surrounding yourself with supportive and understanding friends and family who appreciate the bond between a man and his cat can also help combat the stereotype.</p>

1. Are there any studies that suggest men with cats are considered odd?

Yes, there have been several studies that suggest a correlation between owning a cat and being perceived as odd or eccentric. One study published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology found that participants rated men with cats as less masculine, more neurotic, and less attractive compared to men without cats.

2. What are some tips for living alone with a feline companion?

Some tips for living alone with a cat include establishing a routine for feeding and playtime, providing plenty of toys and scratching posts for stimulation, and keeping a clean and organized living space to prevent messes and accidents. It's also important to socialize your cat with other humans and animals to prevent them from becoming too attached to just one person.

3. Do cats make good companions for single men?

Yes, cats can make great companions for single men. They are independent, low maintenance, and can provide emotional support and companionship. However, it's important to consider your lifestyle and whether you have the time and resources to properly care for a cat before adopting one.

4. Are there any benefits to owning a cat as a single man?

Yes, there are many benefits to owning a cat as a single man. Cats can provide companionship, reduce stress and anxiety, and even lower blood pressure and decrease the risk of heart disease. They can also help create a sense of routine and responsibility, and can be a source of entertainment and joy.

5. How can single men combat the stereotype of being "odd" for owning a cat?

One way to combat the stereotype is by educating others about the benefits of owning a cat and the misconceptions surrounding men with cats. Additionally, being confident and unapologetic about your choice to have a feline companion can help break down stereotypes. Finally, surrounding yourself with supportive and understanding friends and family who appreciate the bond between a man and his cat can also help combat the stereotype.