Residue Theorem, Contour Integration, and the Cauchy Principal Value

In summary: That should agree with the Mathematica result.In summary, The conversation discusses the integration of two given problems using the Cauchy Principal Value. The first problem involves integrating a complex function using a semicircle contour and taking the limit as the radius goes to infinity. The solution is found to be equal to 1/2k times the sine of kx. The second problem is solved by converting it into a closed contour integral and taking the principal value by indenting the contour around each pole. The final solution is found to be equal to 2pi times the imaginary part of the residue at each pole.
DivGradCurl
Hi Folks,

I worked out a couple of problems on finding the Cauchy Principal Value, and I would like to check whether my solutions are correct and also take the opportunity to ask a couple of general questions about the residue theorem, contour integration, and the Cauchy principal value. The post looks long, but there are just a few, small questions. I did most of the work. Please help! Many thanks.

Homework Statement

Part (a) Integrate:

[tex]{\mathcal P.V.} \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} \frac{ \exp( -2\pi\, i\, \xi \, x ) }{4\pi ^2 \xi ^2 - k^2} \, d\xi [/tex]

Part (b) Integrate:

[tex]{\mathcal P.V.} \int_{-\pi} ^{\pi} \frac{e^{in\theta} }{\cos \theta} \, d\theta [/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Part (a) Integrate:

[tex]{\mathcal P.V.} \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} \frac{ \exp( -2\pi\, i\, \xi \, x ) }{4\pi ^2 \xi ^2 - k^2} \, d\xi [/tex]

Choosing a semicircle contour of radius R and taking the limit as R goes to infinity, and also letting

[tex]\xi = R\, e^{i\theta}[/tex]

gives:

[tex] {\mathcal P.V.} \int_{-\infty} ^{\infty} \frac{ \exp( -2\pi\, i\, \xi \, x ) }{4\pi ^2 \left( \xi - \frac{k}{2\pi} \right) \left( \xi + \frac{k}{2\pi} \right) } \, d\xi = \left( \pi i \mbox{ }\sum _j \mbox{ Res}_j \right) + \lim _{R \to \infty} \int _0 ^\pi \left( d\theta i\, R \, e^{i\theta} \right) \frac{\displaystyle e^{-i\, 2\pi \, x \, R \, \cos \theta} e^{2\pi \, x \, R \, \sin \theta} }{\displaystyle 4\pi ^2 \left( R^2 e^{i\, 2\, \theta} - \frac{k^2}{4\pi^2} \right)}[/tex]

[tex] = \pi i \left[ \frac{\displaystyle \left( \frac{1}{4\pi^2} \right) \, e^{-ikx} }{\displaystyle \frac{k}{\pi}} + \frac{\displaystyle \left( \frac{1}{4\pi^2} \right) \, e^{ikx} }{\displaystyle \left( -\frac{k}{\pi} \right) } \right] + 0 = \frac{1}{2k} \sin (kx) [/tex]

As there is always a decaying exponential associated with R, regardless of whether x > 0 or x < 0; and 1/R behaviour is observed for x = 0.

3a. My Questions

- Is the above correct?
- Why do we multiply the residues by (pi * i) instead of (2*pi * i) as prescribed by the residue theorem? It seems to be the correct approach to do when the integration is along the real line, but I don't understand why.

Part (b) Integrate:

[tex]{\mathcal P.V.} \int_{-\pi} ^{\pi} \frac{e^{in\theta} }{\cos \theta} \, d\theta [/tex]

[tex]= {\mathcal P.V.} \int_{-\pi} ^{\pi} \frac{ \left( e^{i\theta} \right) ^n }{ \displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \left( e^{i\theta} + \frac{1}{e^{i\theta}} \right) } \, d\theta = {\mathcal P.V.} \mbox{ }\frac{2}{i} \, \int_{-\pi} ^{\pi} \frac{ z ^n }{ \displaystyle \frac{1}{2} \left( z + \frac{1}{z } \right)} \frac{dz}{iz} = {\mathcal P.V.} \mbox{ }\frac{2}{i} \, \int_{-\pi} ^{\pi} \frac{ z ^n }{z^2 + 1} \, dz [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{2}{i} \, \left( \pi i \mbox{ }\sum _j \mbox{ Res}_j \right) + \frac{2}{i} \, \lim _{R \to \infty} \int _0 ^{\pi} \frac{ \left( R \, e^{i\theta} \right) ^n }{ \left( R \, e^{i\theta} \right) ^2 + 1 } \, \left( i\, R \, e^{i\theta} \, d\theta \right) [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{2}{i} \, \left\{ \pi i \left[ \frac{i^n}{2i} + \frac{(-i)^n}{(-2i)} \right] \right\} + \frac{2}{i} \, \lim _{R \to \infty} \int _0 ^{\pi} \frac{ \left( R \, e^{i\theta} \right) ^n }{ \left( R \, e^{i\theta} \right) ^2 + 1 } \, \left( i\, R \, e^{i\theta} \, d\theta \right) [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{\pi}{i} \left[ i^n - (-i)^n \right] + 0 [/tex]

3b. My Questions and comments

- Mathematica can integrate the one above; it matches my answer upon evaluation as a function of n, but it is cast in a slightly different way:
Code:
2 \[Pi] Sin[(n \[Pi])/2] + (HarmonicNumber[1/4 (-3 + n)] - HarmonicNumber[1/4 (-1 + n)]) Sin[n \[Pi]]
- How can I claim the second integral indeed goes to 0? Here is my best shot:

[tex] \lim _{R \to \infty} \frac{ \left( R \, e^{i\theta} \right) ^n }{ \left( R \, e^{i\theta} \right) ^2 + 1 } \, \left( i\, R \, e^{i\theta} \right) = \lim _{R \to \infty} \frac{ \left( R \, e^{i\theta} \right) ^n }{ \left( R \, e^{i\theta} \right) ^2 + 1 } \, \left( i\, R \, e^{i\theta} \right) = i \, \lim _{R \to \infty} \frac{R^{n+1} \, e^{i\theta} }{R^2 \, e^{i\, 2\theta} + 1} = i \, \lim _{R \to \infty} \frac{1}{\displaystyle \frac{R^2 \, e^{i\, 2\theta}}{R^{n+1} \, e^{i\theta}} + \frac{1}{R^{n+1} \, e^{i\theta}}} = i \, \lim _{R \to \infty} \frac{1}{\displaystyle \frac{A}{B} + C } [/tex]

I take 3 cases for the above, namely:

i) (n+1) < 2, where I get

[tex] C = 0[/tex]
[tex] (A/B) \to \infty [/tex]

making the fraction go to zero

ii) (n+1) > 2, where I get

[tex] C = 0[/tex]
[tex] (A/B) \to 0 [/tex]

making the fraction go to 1/0 = undefined

iii) (n+1) = 2, where I get

[tex] C = 0[/tex]
[tex] A/B = e^{i(2-n)\theta}[/tex]

making the integrand go to

[tex] ie^{i(n-2)\theta} [/tex]

So, it appears that only for (n+1) < 2 the integral can be done. I might have something wrong; can someone help?

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
First one looks ok. In regards to an integral over an indentation around a simple pole and the radius goes to zero, that's equal to [itex]\theta i r[/itex] where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle substended and r is the residue. So if you go around it in a half-cirlcle in the positive sense, it's just [itex]\pi i r[/itex]. Need to check out the theorem about that in the book.

I think the second one should be converted to a closed contour. Don't know where you're getting that infinite integral but don't need it. This is how I'd do it:

[tex]
P.V\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \frac{e^{itn}}{\cos(t)}dt=-2i\; P.V \mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=1} \frac{z^n}{z^2+1}
[/tex]

Now, to extract the principal value from that, I'll indent the contour inward, around each pole so that the contour does not include them. That means we're going around the poles in the negative sense so that:

[tex]P.V \oint \frac{z^n}{z^2+1}=\pi i(r_1+r_2)[/tex]

Finding the residues, I get:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
P.V\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \frac{e^{itn}}{\cos(t)}dt&=-2i\; P.V \mathop\oint\limits_{|z|=1} \frac{z^n}{z^2+1}\\
&=2\pi\left[\frac{i^{n-1}}{2}\left(1-(-1)^{n-1}\right)\right]\\
&=\begin{cases}
0 && n=0\\
0 && n \quad\text{even} \\
2\pi i^{n-1} && n\quad\text{odd}
\end{cases}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks for your response, jackmell. I think I understand what you said
jackmell said:
I think the second one should be converted to a closed contour. Don't know where you're getting that infinite integral but don't need it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Because the integration limits are [itex]-\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex], we have a counter-clockwise directed, closed contour that is an indented unit circle to exclude poles at [itex]\pm i[/itex]. That's why we only have one integral to analyze, were its value is [itex]\pi i \sum (\mbox{ residues at } z = \pm i)[/itex]. From that point, I get the same numerical answer as you.

DivGradCurl said:
Thanks for your response, jackmell. I think I understand what you said

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Because the integration limits are [itex]-\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex], we have a counter-clockwise directed, closed contour that is an indented unit circle to exclude poles at [itex]\pm i[/itex]. That's why we only have one integral to analyze, were its value is [itex]\pi i \sum (\mbox{ residues at } z = \pm i)[/itex]. From that point, I get the same numerical answer as you.

Correct. Same concept for an equilateral triangle at the origin:

[tex]P.V.\mathop\oint\limits_{\begin{array}{c}\text{my}\\ \text{triangle}\end{array}} \frac{dz}{(z-1)(z+1)(z-i\sqrt{3})}=\pi/3 i(r_1+r_2+r_3)[/tex]

1. What is the Residue Theorem?

The Residue Theorem is a mathematical tool used in complex analysis to evaluate integrals around closed contours. It states that for a function with a finite number of singularities inside a closed contour, the integral around the contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the singularities inside the contour.

2. How is Contour Integration related to the Residue Theorem?

Contour Integration is the method used to evaluate integrals around closed contours. The Residue Theorem is a specific application of Contour Integration, where the residues of the singularities are used to evaluate the integral. In other words, the Residue Theorem is a result of the general method of Contour Integration.

3. What is the Cauchy Principal Value?

The Cauchy Principal Value is a method used to evaluate integrals that have singularities on the contour of integration. It involves taking the limit as the distance between the singularities and the contour approaches zero. This allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be undefined.

4. How is the Cauchy Principal Value calculated?

The Cauchy Principal Value is calculated by taking the limit as the distance between the singularities and the contour of integration approaches zero. This can be done by using the Cauchy's Integral Formula, which relates the value of a function at a point inside a contour to the values of the function and its derivatives on the contour.

5. What are some real-world applications of these concepts?

The Residue Theorem, Contour Integration, and the Cauchy Principal Value have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used in the evaluation of complex integrals, solving differential equations, and analyzing systems with singularities. They are also used in signal processing, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics to name a few.