Shame of Britain's Abu Ghraib

• News
  • Thread starter the number 42
  • Start date
In summary: Other countries should follow this example - are you... kidding me?In summary, the reaction in the Arab and Muslim world, and even here, has been of shock and also surprise because until very recently the British troops were considered to be much better in their conduct in Iraq than the Americans.
the number 42
"The reaction in the Arab and Muslim world, and even here, has been of shock and also surprise because until very recently the British troops were considered to be much better in their conduct in Iraq than the Americans."
http://www.channel4.com/news/news_story.jsp?storyId=1721423

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, very disapointing.

We, Americans, are considered to be poorer conduct than everyone always. What's really amazing is that said stereotyping and generalizing has formed a "truth" in so many peoples' minds as to make THIS event (involving the British) some how a shock because it wasn't us this time.

doesn't matter who did it, both have finally showed their true nature to the people...

klusener said:
doesn't matter who did it, both have finally showed their true nature to the people...

Yes that's right. And as such, those that do wrong (they are in every society) will be put through a trial process and handed a punishment. I am very happy that is our true colors, instead of letting them go...

Oh? You meant that to have the standard rhetorical negative conotation?

If those soldiers did not document their crimes by digital Camera, nobody will know …. and the American propaganda will continue spreading lies about the situation in Iraq.

USA and UK started to take actions ONLY after the digital pictures spread among the people and Media.

Both governments knew about these crimes several months before the Media succeeded to get the pictures.

In December 2003, the chairman of Abu Gharib told the journalists that her jail (Abu Gharib) is looks like five star Hotel.. and she believe that many Iraqi prisoners do not like to leave it.

What if those soldiers did not take pictures for their crimes? What if media could not get these pictures! I doubt that anybody will know about it …. Just as the last war in Falluja … no journalists allowed to see the horrible crimes against the civilians till now.

phatmonky said:
Yes that's right. And as such, those that do wrong (they are in every society) will be put through a trial process and handed a punishment. I am very happy that is our true colors, instead of letting them go...

phatmonky said:

that still doesn't make it acceptable, it doesn't justify their actions and it does show their true colors.. I think the disagreement between us is that you think that when I say both, I mean the countries in general, I was referring to the people who did these things..

Bilal made an excellent point, do you think that unless the soldier who brought forth the pictures with the Abu Grahaib torture, the idiots who participated in it would have been brought to justice? in the end you just tried to save your face by taking them to court...

Bilal said:
If those soldiers did not document their crimes by digital Camera, nobody will know …. and the American propaganda will continue spreading lies about the situation in Iraq.

Very true, and underlines the truism that when we rely on the network news for the truth we are often getting only a very paritial picture. Never mind, I hear that Al Jazeera will be available on satellite TV in the US soon. I hope it people will watch it with an open mind, as there might well be stories on it that they wouldn't otherwise see, and viewpoints expressed that they wouldn't otherwise hear.
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/91B0FD3E-4A1C-4554-9430-FF2764C37A61.htm

klusener said:
, I was referring to the people who did these things..
Then I agree.

It is no big news that British abused and killed Arabs in today's Iraq around 1920's.British even used chemical weapons on them.

Good to see that the UK holds itslef to the same high standards as the US and enforces its laws equitably. Other countries should follow their example.

edit: it appears some are. For the first time ever, a Palestinian leader is trying to do the same thing: Palestinian police have actually arrested suspects in last week's terrorist bombing! A step (a small step, but a step nonetheless) in the right direction.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Good to see that the UK holds itslef to the same high standards as the US and enforces its laws equitably. Other countries should follow their example.

High standards? I hardly think so.
http://www.channel4.com/news/microsites/T/torture/index.html

Other countries should follow this example - are you nuts?

russ_watters said:

edit: it appears some are. For the first time ever, a Palestinian leader is trying to do the same thing: Palestinian police have actually arrested suspects in last week's terrorist bombing! A step (a small step, but a step nonetheless) in the right direction.

... most counties do enforce their laws equitably, corruption isn't that widespread if we limit ourselves out of the obvious cases. It's the other side of the coin that is more troublesome and giving grief.

the number 42 said:
High standards? I hardly think so.
http://www.channel4.com/news/microsites/T/torture/index.html

Other countries should follow this example - are you nuts?
You know that's not what I was referring to. I was referring to other countries following our example of rule of law. Who among our enemies is willing to prosecute their own people for crimes against their enemies?

russ_watters said:
You know that's not what I was referring to. I was referring to other countries following our example of rule of law. Who among our enemies is willing to prosecute their own people for crimes against their enemies?

This the Shame of Britain's Abu Ghraib thread, Russ. Would you care to comment on the link I provided?
http://www.channel4.com/news/micros...ture/index.html

the number 42 said:
This the Shame of Britain's Abu Ghraib thread...
In other words, we're only allowed to bash the UK (and US) here, not praise it? You posted the link to the story about the prosecution, not me. I commented on what that act (prosecution of war criminals) shows. Sorry, but the implications I see in what you posted are not negative. What is your comment on the fact that the UK is willing to prosecute its own soldiers?
Would you care to comment on the link I provided?
Its anti-America, sensationalist, misleading, hateful rhetoric. I'm not a big fan of the tabloid/Michael Moore style of much of the UK's media.

russ_watters said:
In other words, we're only allowed to bash the UK (and US) here, not praise it? You posted the link to the story about the prosecution, not me. I commented on what that act (prosecution of war criminals) shows. Sorry, but the implications I see in what you posted are not negative. What is your comment on the fact that the UK is willing to prosecute its own soldiers?

Go ahead and bury your head in the sand then, but don't pretend that you are interested in an intelligent discusssion, let alone truth and justice. Why don't you start a thread listing all the great things the UK and American military are doing at the moment? This thread is focusing on the abuses, which unless you keep your head in the sand, are far more significant.

russ_watters said:
Its anti-America, sensationalist, misleading, hateful rhetoric.

Ignorant rubbish. Its about freedom of information, and if you are really interested in what America is supposed to stand for in the world you will open your eyes. You may find it sensational and hateful, but its hard to report this story without raising these feelings. Misleading? If only it were all a lie, Russ. Open your eyes.

russ_watters said:
I'm not a big fan of the tabloid/Michael Moore style of much of the UK's media.

I shouldn't let this go unchallanged. The UK has some of the foulest muck-raking media outlets in the world, as exemplified by The Sun newspaper. However, the UK also has some of the most honest & upstanding reporting in the world, and having seen most of the three Channel 4 documentaries aired so far, they are not tabloid style. True, they need to be interesting to catch a wide audience, but as far as I could see these were free of sensationalism. When the story is The US Engages in Systematic Torture, you don't need tabloid hype. The muck is there, staring us in the face, pre-raked.

Do you support torture, Russ?

Tom Ridge is quoted as saying that:
under an "extreme set" of hypothetical circumstances, such as a nuclear threat, "it could happen".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4175713.stm

What are your conditions for the torture that is taking place in the name of freedom and democracy?

What is the "Shame of Britain's Abu Ghraib"?

The "Shame of Britain's Abu Ghraib" refers to the scandal that occurred in the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq in 2003, where US soldiers were found to have tortured and abused Iraqi prisoners, resulting in widespread condemnation and outrage.

What happened at Abu Ghraib?

At Abu Ghraib prison, US soldiers were found to have committed numerous human rights abuses against Iraqi prisoners, including physical and sexual abuse, torture, and humiliation. These abuses were documented in photographs that were later released to the public, causing an international scandal.

What were the consequences of the Abu Ghraib scandal?

The Abu Ghraib scandal resulted in a number of consequences, including investigations, trials, and convictions of the soldiers involved. It also led to increased scrutiny of the US military's treatment of prisoners and sparked global debates about the use of torture and abuse in war and conflict.

What were the implications for the US and UK governments?

The Abu Ghraib scandal had significant implications for both the US and UK governments. It damaged their international reputation and credibility, and raised questions about the effectiveness of their oversight and accountability systems. Both governments faced criticism and calls for accountability for their involvement in the abuse and cover-up of the scandal.

Is the "Shame of Britain's Abu Ghraib" still relevant today?

While the Abu Ghraib scandal occurred in 2003, it remains a relevant and controversial topic today. The issue of human rights abuses and torture by military forces is still a global concern, and the scandal has had lasting impacts on policies and practices related to prisoner treatment and accountability in the US and UK. The photographs and evidence from Abu Ghraib continue to be used in discussions and debates about human rights and the treatment of prisoners in war and conflict.