Where Can I Find DIY Car Radiator Kits and Cores for Aluminum Radiator Design?

Factors such as size, material, and placement all play a role in its effectiveness. For a race car with limited space, finding a suitable radiator can be a challenge. DIY kits and aluminum cores may be options to consider.
5aizal
Hello I am new here,

Can anyone share with me on how to design car radiator.:confused:

Engineering news on Phys.org
5aizal said:
Hello I am new here,

Can anyone share with me on how to design car radiator.:confused:

Welcome to the PF.

What are your thoughts on this? What kinds of things are important in the design of a car radiator? Is this for schoolwork?

Bump to an old topic. I've been interested in building a radiator for my race car. It sports a 4 stroke 1000cc motor, water cooled.

Space doesn't allow much for radiators and getting aluminum radiators to fit the hole cost a lot from top name companys.

I have been searching for cores etc? So i can weld on my own tank ends etc but I have had no luck.

Does anyone have information on DIY radiator kits (aluminum) or where to find the aluminum cores etc

Chris,

1. How does a car radiator work?

A car radiator works by using a combination of coolant, air, and metal fins to transfer heat away from the engine. The coolant absorbs the heat from the engine and flows through the radiator, where it is cooled by the air passing through the fins. This cooled coolant then travels back to the engine, repeating the process.

2. What materials are used in the design of a car radiator?

Car radiators are typically made of aluminum or copper, as these materials have high thermal conductivity and are lightweight. The fins are often made of copper or aluminum as well, while the tubes that carry the coolant are usually made of brass or steel.

3. How do you determine the size of a car radiator?

The size of a car radiator depends on several factors, including the size and power of the engine, the type of vehicle, and the desired cooling capacity. To determine the size, engineers use a formula that takes into account the engine size and horsepower, as well as the ambient temperature and the type of driving the vehicle will be used for.

4. What are the most important features to consider when designing a car radiator?

The most important features to consider when designing a car radiator include its cooling capacity, weight, and durability. The radiator must be able to effectively cool the engine, while also being lightweight enough to not add excess weight to the vehicle. It must also be durable enough to withstand the constant exposure to high temperatures and vibrations from the engine.

5. How can I improve the performance of my car radiator?

There are several ways to improve the performance of a car radiator, such as increasing the number of fins or tubes, using a more efficient coolant, or adding a fan or shroud to improve air flow. It is also important to regularly maintain the radiator by flushing and replacing the coolant, as well as checking for any leaks or damage. Upgrading to a larger radiator or one with a higher cooling capacity can also improve performance in some cases.