Solving Ln(-1) with Euler's Equation

• Thread starter T@P
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation e^(pi i) = -1 and how taking the natural log of both sides leads to ln(-1) = pi i. The conversation then delves into the substitution of i into the equation e^(phi i) = cos(phi) + i sin(phi), resulting in the equation -1^(phi/pi) = cos(phi) + i sin(phi). It is noted that this equation is real when phi is an integer multiple of pi, but it becomes complex for non-integer values. The conversation also mentions the derivative of the function (-1)^x and its relationship to trigonometric functions. In the end, it is concluded that the use of the complex valued Ln function is necessary when
T@P
ok don't kill me, hear me out before you say its undefined:

[tex] e ^ { \pi i}= -1 [/tex]

so taking the natural log of both sides yields:

[tex] ln(-1) = \pi i [/tex]

[tex] \frac {ln(-1)} \pi = i [/tex]

and plugging it into the well known equation,

[tex] e^{\varphi i} = cos(\varphi) + i sin(\varphi) [/tex]

you substitute your i into the left side,

[tex] e^{\frac {ln (-1)} { \pi * \varphi}} = cos(\varphi) + i sin(\varphi)[/tex]

[tex] -1^{\frac {\varphi} { \pi}} = cos(\varphi) + i sin(\varphi)[/tex]

now the left side is arguably real, so if you solve for i, you have i in terms of a real number. some of the time. i realize that you phi/pi can be 1/2 which would get you back to i, but can anyone explain this to me?

thanks (excuse the shoddy latex)

ok for some reason instead of getting something to the power of i get a funny ) sign. please assume it means to the power of, like this sign: ^

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thats really hard to understand but remember that your final equation traces out a path in the complex plane, not in the real plane. it will simplify to exactly what you started with.

which part you don't understand??

[tex] (-1)^{\varphi/\pi} [/tex]
the above function is real if and only if the exponent is integer ... i.e. [itex] \varphi = n \pi [/itex]

you substitute your i into the left side,

[tex] e^(ln(-1 / \pi * \varphi) = cos(\varphi) + i sin(\varphi)[/tex]

[tex] -1^(\varphi/\pi) = cos(\varphi) + i sin(\varphi)[/tex]

[tex] e^{ln(-1)/\pi*\varphi)}[/tex] is not the same as [tex] e^{ln(-\varphi)/\pi)} [/tex]

Perhaps that is your mistake?

Last edited:
What is

[tex] e^{\frac{\ln (-1)}{\pi}\phi} =...? [/tex]

Daniel.

whozum said:
[tex] e^{ln(-1)/\pi*\varphi)}[/tex] is not the same as [tex] e^{ln(-\varphi)/\pi)} [/tex]

Perhaps that is your mistake?

I truly believe he want to say [tex] (-1)^{\varphi/\pi} [/tex], he just didn't type it right, notice what he said earlier:

t@p said:
i realize that you phi/pi can be 1/2 which would get you back to i,

~vinnie

I see what's goin on here. You confused an exponential rule.

You have [tex] e^{ln(-1)*\varphi/\pi} [/tex] and you simplified this to [tex] -1^{\varphi/\pi} [/tex] because [tex] e^{ln(x)} = x [/tex]. The problem with that is
[tex] e^{ln(-1)*\varphi/\pi} = e^{ln(-1)}*e^{\varphi/\pi} [/tex]
which simplifies to
[tex] -e^{\varphi/\pi} [/tex].

Then you have
[tex] -e^{\varphi/\pi} = cos(\varphi) + i sin (\varphi) [/tex]

[tex]-e^{\varphi} * e^{1/\pi} = cos(\varphi) + i sin (\varphi)[/tex]

[tex]-e^{\varphi} * 1.375 = cos(\varphi) + i sin (\varphi)[/tex]

I really don't know where I am going with this..

[tex]-e^{\varphi} * 1.375 - cos(\varphi) = i sin (\varphi)[/tex]

[tex]i = \frac{-e^{\varphi} * 1.375 - cos(\varphi)}{sin(\varphi)} [/tex]

[tex] e^{ln(-1)*\varphi/\pi} = e^{ln(-1)}*e^{\varphi/\pi} [/tex]
Your algebra is not quite correct...
[tex]e^{ln(-1)\times\varphi/\pi}=(e^{ln(-1)})^{\varphi/\pi}=(-1)^{\varphi/\pi}[/tex]

EDIT:
[tex] e^{a+b} = e^ae^b[/tex]
[tex]e^{ab} = (e^a)^b[/tex]

Last edited:
Your error is in your very first step. Since [itex] ln( e^{ \pi i})[/itex] has a complex argument you must use the complex valued Ln function, this is multiple valued. You have thrown out the baby with bath.

ln( [itex] e^z [/itex])=ln |[itex] e^z[/itex]| + i arg ([itex]e^z[/itex])

so

ln(-1) = (2n+1) [itex] \pi [/itex] i

Last edited:
ouchy this is too complicated. but yes my latex is pretty bad and my main point tho was that you can express i in terms of -1 to the power something real which seems weird because then i would appear to be real... only its not because [tex] -1^1.3 [/tex] isn't quite real...
*edit* this is messed up, the point 3 doesn't get put into superscript but i hope you see what i mean

also just some random trivia but the 'function' [tex] (-1)^x [/tex] is funny because the derivative is just [tex] (-1)^x * \pi * i [/tex]

almost trignometric, which it is because of the whole [tex] e^\varphi i [/tex] thing...

i was bored during physics, what can i say

T@P said:
*edit* this is messed up, the point 3 doesn't get put into superscript but i hope you see what i mean

Short LaTeX lesson: Use {} to keep things together. You write -1^1.3, while you should write -1^{1.3}. See:

[tex]-1^1.3[/tex]

versus

[tex]-1^{1.3}[/tex]

ah thanks.

Integral said:
Your error is in your very first step. Since [itex] ln( e^{ \pi i})[/itex] has a complex argument you must use the complex valued Ln function, this is multiple valued. You have thrown out the baby with bath.

ln( [itex] e^z [/itex])=ln |[itex] e^z[/itex]| + i arg ([itex]e^z[/itex])

so

ln(-1) = (2n+1) [itex] \pi [/itex] i

Yep, that's what I was about to say. Ln is periodic about your primary branch (arbitrary, isn't it?) just like exp is.
Ahh complex analysis, how i miss you...

1. What is Euler's equation?

Euler's equation is a mathematical equation that relates the complex exponential function to the trigonometric functions. It is written as e^(ix) = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is any real number.

2. How can Euler's equation be used to solve ln(-1)?

In order to solve ln(-1), we can use Euler's equation to rewrite -1 as e^(i*pi). Then, using the properties of logarithms, we can take the natural logarithm of both sides to get ln(-1) = i*pi.

3. Why is ln(-1) considered to be undefined?

Ln(-1) is considered to be undefined because there is no real number that, when raised to the power of e, will equal -1. This is because raising a number to a power means multiplying it by itself a certain number of times, and any real number multiplied by itself will always result in a positive number.

4. Can Euler's equation be used to solve ln of other negative numbers?

Yes, Euler's equation can be used to solve ln of other negative numbers. However, the resulting value will be complex, involving both a real and imaginary component. This is because raising a negative number to a power can result in either a positive or negative number, depending on the exponent.

5. How is Euler's equation related to complex numbers?

Euler's equation is related to complex numbers because it involves both real and imaginary components. The real component is represented by the cosine function, while the imaginary component is represented by the sine function. Together, they form a complex number in the form a + bi, where a is the real component and bi is the imaginary component.