Best book on relativity for newbie ?

In summary, there are several recommended books for learning about the theories of relativity, including "Relativity: The Special and General Theory" by Albert Einstein, "It's About Time" by N. David Mermin, "The Geometry of Special Relativity" by Tevian Dray, and "Relativity Demystified" by David McMahon. For general relativity, books such as "Spacetime and Geometry" by Sean Carroll and "Gravitation and Cosmology" by Steven Weinberg are recommended, along with "Gravitation" by Thanu Padmanabhan for its unique approach but with caution for its numerous typos.
golu14
basically I am looking for the book that einstein wrote himself 'relativity: general and special'

but there are soo many versions/editions of it, can u recommend me a specific one?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
golu14 said:
basically I am looking for the book that einstein wrote himself 'relativity: general and special'
Why would you want to read something that's 100 years old?

The question in the title is very different from the question in the post.

I usually recommend the GR book by Schutz for its material on SR. It's also not a bad place to start learning about GR, but if you really want to learn GR, you will eventually have to study a text that doesn't try to hide the differential geometry (e.g. Wald), and you will also have to study differential geometry. I like the books by Lee for that. Unfortunately, Lee requires you to know a substantial amount of topology.

There are some books on SR that are supposed to require even less mathematical knowledge and maturity from its readers. The one that gets the most recommendations is Taylor & Wheeler.

Last edited:
Bill_K said:
Why would you want to read something that's 100 years old?
Nostalgia? :biggrin:

For SR I would recommend It's About Time by N. David Mermin.

The Geometry of Special Relativity. I forget the author. It's very new.

TomServo said:
The Geometry of Special Relativity. I forget the author. It's very new.
Probably, Tevian Dray (http://people.oregonstate.edu/~drayt/ ).
There is also a new book on GR and on Differential Forms.

robphy said:
Probably, Tevian Dray (http://people.oregonstate.edu/~drayt/ ).

You wouldn't want a newbie to confuse this with the book by Naber (Geometry of Minkowski Spacetime). That would be a shock.

There is also a new book on GR and on Differential Forms.

Looks like it's not out yet:

https://www.amazon.com/Differential-Forms-Geometry-General-Relativity/dp/146651000&tag=pfamazon01-20

Looking for that I found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642357970/?tag=pfamazon01-20

A more recent GR book that takes a "Physics first" approach similar to Hartle is the one by Ta-Pei Cheng.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0199573646/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought "Relativity Demystified" which promises to lay down the basics of GR, or at least the math you use in it. It's not explicitly a differential geometry book, but I haven't read it yet. Too busy studying for the PGRE. :(

TomServo said:
I bought "Relativity Demystified" which promises to lay down the basics of GR, or at least the math you use in it. It's not explicitly a differential geometry book, but I haven't read it yet. Too busy studying for the PGRE. :(

The book reads like a set of notes. There are many better books.

For special relativity I like "Introduction to SR" by Wolfgang Rindler (Oxford Science)... uses the signature like particle physicists I fear but it explains things well... as for GR there are a lot of good books... Carroll's "Spacetime and Geometry" is a good book, also Wald's "Genrel Relativity" but it is advanced, or Weinberg's "Gravitation and Cosmology", even if it is quite old... it is good for GR but it is not so updated as for the Cosmology part... lot of others I don't know, they tell me Padmanabhan's "Gravitation" is also good, as it has also a small part about quantum fields in curved spacetime and gravity in higher and lower dimensions and as an emergent phenomenon

Padmanabhan's book has a nice concept, but it's full of typos. I'd not recommend it for the beginner!

1. What is the best book for a beginner to learn about relativity?

The best book for a beginner to learn about relativity is "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking. It provides a clear and accessible introduction to the concepts of special and general relativity.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand relativity?

No, it is not necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand the basic principles of relativity. Some understanding of algebra and geometry will be helpful, but there are many books on relativity that are written for a general audience and do not require advanced mathematical knowledge.

3. Can you recommend a book on relativity that is easy to understand?

"Relativity: The Special and the General Theory" by Albert Einstein is a great choice for beginners as it was written by the scientist who first proposed the theory. It is written in a clear and straightforward manner, making it easy to follow for those new to the subject.

4. Are there any online resources that can help me learn about relativity?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about relativity. Some popular options include online courses, video lectures, and interactive simulations. Websites such as Khan Academy and Coursera offer free courses on relativity that are suitable for beginners.

5. What is the best way to approach learning about relativity?

The best way to approach learning about relativity is to start with a basic understanding of the concepts and then gradually build upon that knowledge through reading and practice problems. It is also helpful to supplement your learning with visual aids, such as diagrams and animations, to better understand the abstract concepts of relativity.