Help with multiple magnetic field device

In summary, the conversation discussed a potential project idea for a device that can detect the shape of a metal object inside a wall using multiple metal detectors. The question was raised about the feasibility of constructing such a device with simple circuits and concerns were raised about the interaction between magnetic fields. The idea involved using 10-16 LEDs connected to metal detectors in a grid to display the shape of the object. However, it was noted that the device may have difficulty distinguishing between the metal in the wall and the metal in the detectors. The conversation also mentioned the impracticality of the idea and the limitations of using magnetic fields in this way. Finally, it was revealed that the project was for a course in product and design psychology and could not use any
Thorgeir-DK
Greetings everyone
I am deciding on a project to work on for my bachelor's degree in engineering right now. I have an idea that involves using multiple metal detectors placed about 1-2 cm apart from each other.
The idea is to develop a device that is able to detect the shape of an metal item inside a wall (such as for example a wire).

So the question to you would be. Is it theoretically possible to construct a device like this using relatively simple circuits?
Also, I am not sure if it is theoretically possible due to the interaction between the magnetic fields. Does anyone here have any insights into how magnetic fields would interact in a device like this?

More details on the idea:
The device should have ~10-16 LED's which will be connected to ~10-16 metal detectors arranged in a grid. When a metal is detected, the corresponding LED lights up. Thus giving the user the possibility to see the shape of the object hidden in the wall.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thorgeir Gisli

Engineering news on Phys.org
Metal detectors contain metal, so the device will certainly "see" itself. You will need some way to distinguish metal in a wall from the metal and the magnetic fields in the detector (=closer to the detectors, and probably more metal). I guess a careful calibration can do this, but it won't be an easy task. Powering them in a sequence (so only one detector is active at a time) could help.

With 10-16 LEDs, do you expect a significant advantage compared to a single detector, swept over the wall?

Yeea, its starting to sound quite impractical.
I am studying product and design psychology and this semester is all about circuits. We are supposed to create a device using circuits, we cannot use any programming such as an Arduino or anything like that.
I thought it might be an interesting concept to have a device which could show you the shape of a metal object inside the wall. But the more I think about it, the more problematic it starts to sound. We have no experience using magnetic fields anyway.
Also as you said, a single detector swept over the wall does pretty much the same thing.

1. What is a multiple magnetic field device?

A multiple magnetic field device is a scientific instrument that generates and controls multiple magnetic fields simultaneously. These fields can be used for a variety of purposes, such as studying the properties of materials, manipulating particles, and conducting experiments in physics and chemistry.

2. How does a multiple magnetic field device work?

A multiple magnetic field device typically consists of a power supply, coils of wire, and a control system. The power supply provides electricity to the coils, which generate the magnetic fields. The control system allows for precise adjustments of the strength and direction of these fields.

3. What are the benefits of using a multiple magnetic field device?

Using a multiple magnetic field device allows for more complex and precise experiments to be conducted. It also allows for the manipulation of particles and materials in ways that would not be possible with a single magnetic field. Additionally, researchers can study the interactions between multiple magnetic fields and how they affect various materials and particles.

4. Can a multiple magnetic field device be used for medical purposes?

Yes, a multiple magnetic field device can be used in medical applications. For example, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines use multiple magnetic fields to create detailed images of the inside of the body. Magnetic fields can also be used for targeted drug delivery and to stimulate nerves in the body.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a multiple magnetic field device?

Yes, as with any scientific instrument, safety precautions should always be taken when using a multiple magnetic field device. The strength of the magnetic fields can be hazardous to individuals with certain medical devices, such as pacemakers. It is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines when operating the device to prevent any accidents or injuries.