Question on power plant generators

In summary, power plant generators increase power output by increasing the torque angle between the voltage impressed on the stator from the grid and the voltage impressed on the stator from the rotor field.
Idea04
I'm trying to understand exactly how power plant generators increase power output. So I will explain what I think is right.

To increase the power output of a generator more torque from the prime mover is required to increase the torque angle between the voltage impressed on the stator from the grid with the voltage impressed on the stator from the rotor field. As the torque angle increases up to 90 degrees the two voltages will be more in phase and be additive which will result in a larger amount of current produced in the stator. Thus increasing the power output.

Can someone correct me, and what happens with the phases between the voltage and current when the torque angle is increased. Is there still a lagging power factor or does the current align with the sum of the two voltages.

I'm probably wrong in my thinking but some clarification would be very much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You might want to spend time studying steam turbines. In power plants, power output can be increased or decreased by adjusting the pressure-drop across the turbine, including auxiliary systems like steam-hoggers and condensers that allow the steam to exit the turbine at lower than atmospheric pressure. Good luck with your studies.

Sorry but I'm more interested in the electrical side of it and less on the actual mechanical side of the operation. I have been trying to find info in the internet but so far not successful.

You have it pretty nearly right.
The phase of the current is largely affected by the excitation, and what the load will accept.
Power plant generators are all in parallel so can exchange lots of imaginary(out of phase) current.
You haven't said whether you're assuming constant field or constant terminal volts...
The sad truth is the voltage regulator gets into the act and controls excitation.

Here's an animation I found with a quick Google search:
http://www.ece.umn.edu/users/riaz/animations/syncmotpd.html

It's for a motor, but only difference is sign of torque and in-phase current.

We had some interesting threads a couple years ago with a really cool student named Bassalisk.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=538388
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=571174
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=614617
http://www.basler.com/downloads/Design_exc.pdf

May you find them interesting, or a cure for insomnia.Do you have a machinery lab in your school? It is a lot of fun to watch the angle of a shaft with a strobe light synchronized to terminal voltage. And it gives you that "feel" for what is going on.
http://www.ece.umn.edu/users/riaz/animations/smswing.html

old jim

Last edited:

Your understanding of how power plant generators increase power output is mostly correct. To clarify, the torque angle refers to the phase difference between the rotor field voltage and the stator voltage. As this angle increases, the two voltages become more in phase and the resulting current in the stator increases. This is known as a leading power factor, where the current is leading the voltage. This is because the rotor field voltage is leading the stator voltage, causing the current to also lead.

When the torque angle is increased, the current aligns with the sum of the two voltages, resulting in a larger current and increased power output. This is because the two voltages are now in phase and additive.

However, it's important to note that the power factor can vary depending on the load and other factors. In some cases, the power factor may still be lagging even with an increased torque angle. This is why power plants often use power factor correction techniques to maintain a constant and efficient power factor.

I hope this clarifies your understanding. It's great that you are seeking clarification and trying to understand the mechanics behind power plant generators. Keep up the curiosity and learning!

1. What is a power plant generator?

A power plant generator is a machine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is a crucial component of a power plant that uses various sources of energy such as coal, natural gas, or nuclear power to produce electricity.

2. How does a power plant generator work?

A power plant generator works by using a prime mover, such as a steam turbine, to rotate a magnet inside a coil of wire. This motion creates an electromagnetic field that produces electricity. The amount of electricity generated depends on the speed of the prime mover and the strength of the magnetic field.

3. What are the different types of power plant generators?

There are several types of power plant generators, including steam turbines, gas turbines, diesel engines, and hydroelectric turbines. Each type uses a different source of energy and operates on different principles, but they all ultimately produce electricity through the same process.

4. What is the role of a power plant generator in the electricity grid?

A power plant generator plays a critical role in the electricity grid by providing a steady and reliable supply of electricity. It works in conjunction with other components, such as transformers and transmission lines, to deliver electricity to homes, businesses, and industries.

5. What are the main challenges of operating and maintaining a power plant generator?

The main challenges of operating and maintaining a power plant generator include ensuring its efficiency and reliability, managing safety risks, and adhering to environmental regulations. Regular maintenance and upgrades are necessary to ensure the optimal performance of the generator and prolong its lifespan.